Optimax Diesel

Gazbo

I was reading in this month's EVO about Shell's 'Optimax' brew for diesel that they have been selling on the continent for a while now. Supposed to be better and give more economy/power. They are bringing it over here eventually, but has anybody tried it on this forum?

anybody used the optimax unleaded fuel been told it gives more miles per gallon. If i change from unleaded to optimax unleaded will it affect any thing ie: cause the engine management light to come on.

crb1011 said:
anybody used the optimax unleaded fuel been told it gives more miles per gallon. If i change from unleaded to optimax unleaded will it affect any thing ie: cause the engine management light to come on.

The only car I ever tried on Optimax Unleaded was a Jaguar XJR - which just drank petrol of anysort, so I never noticed a difference in mpg! I did see some photos in a magazine though, which showed the valves etc. before and after using Optimax and the results looked quite conclusive.

Most/better modern cars should be able to adjust the engine management to make use of the higher octane rating.

crb1011 said:
anybody used the optimax unleaded fuel been told it gives more miles per gallon.

In my not very scientific tests it has a beneficial effects on turbocharged cars (in my case an RS4 and a TT 1.8T). Slightly better performance and mpg. Zero noticeable effect on an A4 3.0 non-turbo.

Cheers, Richard.

viffer said:
In my not very scientific tests it has a beneficial effects on turbocharged cars (in my case an RS4 and a TT 1.8T). Slightly better performance and mpg. Zero noticeable effect on an A4 3.0 non-turbo.

Cheers, Richard.

One of the TV car shows echoed this, higher performance & turbo-ed engines benefitted from better quality fuels, I also make a point of only filling up at certain petrol stations, one of my local garages tanks have not been replaced in my lifetime (32) and I'm sure they must be corroding by now!

Back