OSS opening & close mph

rosscanning

A2OC Donor
Hi everyone,

Quick question for those in the know, what is maximum speed to open and close oss please?

If it isn't raining mine is open all the time just can't beat it but when I'm hurling down A19 and it starts raining (you know we're I'm going with this) do I have to slow down to max speed of I.e 30mph? I have been waiting till I get home as a little rin doesn't hurt?

Many thanks
Ross

I've opened and closed mine at 60mph without any issues although I'm not sure what the handbook recommends.

Same here, I closed mine several times on the motorway with no issues. I think vibrations are more of a concern when operating to roof.

I've found that it's just not tolerable to have the roof (fully) open above about 50 mph. Well, that's my opinion. I'll have it open along quiet, North Wales lanes every time! (and there's plenty of those around here!)

David

you are closing into an area of lower pressure and pulling 5kg of glass with a significant frontal area moving at 0.2m/s into a wind which is already doing 28m/s (that's around 60mph) in the other direction.
I could calculate the amount of strain this puts on the motor, but considering the teeth of the gearing mech and the cables are the system's weak point, I would avoid operating at high speeds as much as possible.
I don't remember it being in the handbook. Personally I take 10km/h as a limit. Last lights before the motorway - closed. You won't get wet while it's raining if it's open until you slow down.

There's a nice story from Audi80 on the German forum of him operating his OSS - when new - on the autobahn, followed by a loud crack. Don't remember if it was replaced under warranty.

- Bret

I would agree with Bret, I would not recommend using the sunroof at high speeds and then trying to close it, too much resistance on top of the weak mechanism.

I've found that it's just not tolerable to have the roof (fully) open above about 50 mph. Well, that's my opinion. I'll have it open along quiet, North Wales lanes every time! (and there's plenty of those around here!)

David
David, try dropping the rear windows an inch or two when the OSS is open so as to improve the airflow through the car, it takes out a lot of the bass 'wuthering'. Easier done on rear electrics than manual of course but the principle is still sound.

Yep, crack the rear window a little, easy with electrics or, part of the in-car-yoga with "work-out" windows...

Back