other aero mods?

dan_b

A2OC Donor
I was alongside a new A4 diesel this morning and couldn't help but notice it had rear wheel arch winglets to go with the front wheel arch winglets.

Has anyone else seen these? Could they be re-purposed to go on the A2?

Any other aero mods we can translate onto the A2?

The trouble with adding parts from other models is that we may do more harm than good - testing aero design is something so critical - just ask any F1 team!!

If we stick with parts made for the A2 and then work to basic principals (flat underside and lower us better) then we shouldn't be much off what us ultimately possible withthe car as a whole.

Cheers,

Mike

Sure, but I just thought that I'd never seen the winglets on the rear arches before, which got me thinking and wondered if anyone had tried it...

I'd still like to do the flat rear floor bit if possible now I've got the tunnel cover in place :) Did you manage to get a template up and running on that?

It may have been the new 2.0 TDie A4 which has a CO2 of 119 gm, same as an A2 ..... just shows the progress now being made with emmissions/economy.

Nope - things stalled on that front after Tanks little prang and then theresulting ABS issues, not to mention the weather!

It's something I'll work on now that he's all back and in one piece.

Cheers

Mike

No real progress engine wise, simply a tuning state to comply with ididotic UK taxing regs.

Todays tinkering with the A2 would probably make it tax exempt..................

oh dear, I've turned into a bit of a "rear wheel arch spoiler" spotter.
Having seen them on an A4 Avant, I've now spotted them on an A3 (5door) a Q5 a Q7 and a VW Beetle. In each case they're quite small, but they're definitely there for an aero reason - presumably to smooth airflow around the wheels (as with the front ones).

I just wonder if there's a way of making some fit to the rear of the A2?

oh dear, I've turned into a bit of a "rear wheel arch spoiler" spotter.
Having seen them on an A4 Avant, I've now spotted them on an A3 (5door) a Q5 a Q7 and a VW Beetle. In each case they're quite small, but they're definitely there for an aero reason - presumably to smooth airflow around the wheels (as with the front ones).

I just wonder if there's a way of making some fit to the rear of the A2?

Next time you see one take a photo just so i know what your looking at ;), is it the little black plastic bit under the sill just in front of the rear wheels ?

Phil

PS just had thought you could put the 1.2 TDi wheel arches on (but i think thats going to far)

Just re-read that about 3L arches; I know they've a different part number but can anyone tell me in what way they are? I'm guessing narrower and different profile. The arch liners are fleece, no idea what gains are had there!

Dan, what years are the cars you've seen them on? I've looked up the A4 and there's fronts listed, but no rears.

However, the older A4 parts (still B7 though) are listed as "contains additional positions", so might be adaptable - at £5.50 each, worth a pop?!!

Cheers,

Mike

Will do and will also note the car age!
Next time you see one take a photo just so i know what your looking at ;), is it the little black plastic bit under the sill just in front of the rear wheels ?

Phil

PS just had thought you could put the 1.2 TDi wheel arches on (but i think thats going to far)

Dan, I think the part you are looking at are called 'air dams' or 'strakes'. Perhaps like the attached picture?

Air dams are used in front of both front and rear wheels to improve aerodynamic characteristics. Or am I completely off the mark?

Is that a diagram on the original Honda Insight? Extremely advanced for 1996 I think. Check out the owners website for discussions on aerodynamic aids

I like very much the "fins" on the doors from the S4 B6 (and maybe B7 ?). I doubt they would help much for aerodynamics, but they look nice :) I wonder if they could be adapted to fit on the A2 and replace the plastic protection strips on the doors...

Thats it its like the additional front wheel arch spoilers that the 1.2TDi has but also on the back.
Dan, I think the part you are looking at are called 'air dams' or 'strakes'. Perhaps like the attached picture?

Air dams are used in front of both front and rear wheels to improve aerodynamic characteristics. Or am I completely off the mark?

Just spotted these on the new A5 Sportback a 58 plate A4 on the new Skoda badged B7 A4 and on the current and previous generations of Passats.

Back