Ouch!

doctor

Just had a pheasant break my front screen:mad:

Any advice regarding replacement, we have autoglass turning up tomorrow pm to fit new at home.

Tips on cleaning glass up or spec etc greatly appreciated.

Doctor

Pheasant got away otherwise I would be eating the thing just to get some of my expenses back:)

When we had our second windscreen replaced, they managed to bounce the windscreen up the top edge of the nearside wing, leaving it with several small gouges in the paint/plastic. Worth checking before and after, and letting the guys know you're going to be checking.

One other member (RichDADA) also had the unfortunate experience of hitting a high velocity pheasant. His one didn't fly away as it went through the screen and spread itself around the inside of the car in a very messy way. The pictures were quite graphic and the cleanup of the grey leather must have been an unpleasant experience

I had autoglass bodge my windscreen on my BMW when it was cracked by a flying stone on the roads. I complained strongly to my insurer who authorised it be sent to BMW to be done. The screen was cut out again, and has to have the inside of both pillars painted and the front wing painted where they had scratched it. Anyway, long story short it cost Autoglass £1100 for the repairs to be done.

They are there to put in windscreens professionally, not let 19yr olds practise unsupervised on your car.

They also managed to b*lls it up on my Alpha some years back, tried to reuse clips and things that should be replaced, my advise would be to take it to a depot, they seem to know their stuff better than their mobile crews!

Thanks for replies, I shall be there to watch and ask questions.
I may phone them up this morning just to make sure they have the screen spec correct as it has a tinted zone along the top edge (not sure if this is std?) and will ask questions such as how they intend to protect the paintwork/bodywork.

Doctor

As for the pheasant, they breed the birds big here in norfolk ;)

I had my screen replaced by Autoglass last summer, at their Manchester depot.

The screens they use are genuine Audi ones, as there are no aftermarket versions! And they all have the shade-band on the top edge too.

They did a walk round of the car with me, prior to fitting, to inspect for any existing marks, scratches etc and with the exception of a few really small bits of glass, I was highly impressed witht eh job they did.

I did take the precaution of printing out the relevant parts of the workshop manual for them to refer to though, just in case they were unclear on anything!

Best of luck,

Cheers,

Mike

I had autowindscreens do my A6 it only stopped creaking when a large crack appeared after about 2 weeks! Autoglass did the replacement and its great. I always take our cars to their place on the assumption that it gives them the best opportunity and facilities to do their best work! But I think this is more mind games with myself than anything consisting of hard evidence.

When the A2 screen was replaced they fitted it slightly higher up to remove some unwanted wind noise which seems to have done the trick

Cheers

Jonathan

There are the time served staff and the newbies in there aswell. I would ask that they get one of the old boys to do the work, since they are much more careful and skilled at doing the job.

You can however, request an Audi dealer to do the work aswell - who will sub it out to another firm most likely.

doctor said:
Just had a pheasant break my front screen:mad:

Any advice regarding replacement, we have autoglass turning up tomorrow pm to fit new at home.

Tips on cleaning glass up or spec etc greatly appreciated.

Doctor

Pheasant got away otherwise I would be eating the thing just to get some of my expenses back:)

Sorry to hear about that. It makes me think of the chicken gun they used in Mythbusters (Discovery channel) on a Cessna windscreen.

OK Post mortem.

I had to get to work but the Autoglas team turned up, the first chap arrived half an hour before the second, who had the screen.

They removed the engine cover and took great care with the protection of the car.

They pointed out that this pheasant had scratched the wiper.

My only observations this morning was that at the top corners were pushed in further than the original and that there was small areas of protective film left along the lower edge, but full marks to the autoglas team.

doctor

Back