Our first month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Earl

Past Member
We've had our A2 for a month now and returned this morning from a week in Scotland which entailed 1400 miles of driving in this week.

The car never missed a beat in all the miles. These included motorway, A & B roads, swooping (magnificent) Scotish roads and unmade farm tracks. The quality of the interior is second to none as some of the surfaces we travelled on were very rough, yet not one rattle was heard.

We did the driving in 3 hour stints up to our cottage and not once did we leave the car with aches or pains. It sat quite happily on the motorways at 85mph for hours on end - traffic permitting, but thats another story.

The only fault to come to light so far is water in the nearside headlight. A visit to the dealer this afternoon was no use as the service dept closes at 1pm on Saturday. Perhaps we are 'lucky' in only having the one fault so far. Overall though, this is a minor matter at the moment that the dealer will fix happily under warranty.

Our view of the A2 is of a very accomplished little car which carries out its tasks most effortlessly.

It's great to see the forum so active. It took me ages to read through all the posts from last week. Some people really do have too much time on their hands.;)

New piccys of the car & some snow can be seen on Stuarts site now. Just had to include the hairy cow:D:D

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Hi Rob,

Looked very cold up there. :)

I agree with your comments on the comfort. I did a 980mile round trip in 35 hours in August without resting, even though the drive was interupted by a few mountains during the trip. Ben Nevis - Scafell - Snowdon (three peaks). Even with leather seats (not sport) the A2 was very comfortable.

Kaine

A2 1.4Tdi SE | black | red leather | Concert | Open Sky | A2OC Stickers x2

Rob,

I confess I thought about you as from last Saturday when the weather was sure rough and extremely windy. The latter being something which the A2 certainly does not like, however its good that you enjoyed the car and the journey, and I do hope you have ended up with some good A2 landscape photographs.

Regards
John Disdale

JD,

I will admit to getting buffeted around a bit on the M6 but this was no worse that in many other cars I've been in.

As for landscape shots, plenty of them. The best ones involving the A2 are already on Stuarts site (UK page14). As for the rest, I'll play about and get them on my own site soon hopefully.

I envy Crawfster (I think) who lives in the Highlands. The scenery is just so much more than anything I've experiences in England. And we never really made it very high, Pitlochry was as far north as we got.

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

Rob - I especially like the picture of your car against the snow capped mountains. Mind you it looks as though the nearest Tesco’s is probably over 1 mile away, so “her indoors” would not have liked that. I might add that although I have been to the lovely Lake District on several occasions, I hate hate hate the M6 motorway.

I'd always been of the opinion that the M6 was the most boring, snarled up road in the UK but after driving the last few miles from above the Blackpool/M55 area up to Carlisle, my opinion has changed. The road snakes through some wonderful valleys. Not like any other UK motorway I've ever been on. Having said that the M6 round Birmingham is still a pig.

We stopped over in a village just off the M1 J20 on the way up. A journey of approx 140 miles. This took 5 and a half hours due to various issues, mainly being Dartford tunnel, the M25, M11 and the A14. The M1 was out of the question due to this also being at a standstill due to more accidents. The following day it took us 6hrs to do the remainder of the journey - 340miles.

Oh the beauty of our roads. Still could be worse. We could have a government who are penalising the motorist and trying to get us to use the punctual, clean and efficient public transport.

Oo-err, anyone else getting deja-vu????

I agree about the beauty of the highlands. I've just had a long weekend in Deeside, when the early snows came and the whole place was spectacular. Unfortunately time constraints dictated a flight to Aberdeen and a hired Fiat Punto..but spotted a couple of A2's around the area. The roads around Deeside and up to Speyside are just a dream to drive..beautifully finished, smooth, and EMPTY. Just sheer joy to a Londoner used to crawling jams, appalling surfaces, incessant roadworks etc. The annual trip to Scotland usually involves a 500 mile drive both ways towing a glider trailer behind the A6 but no wave flying this year..sob. And no, the A2 hasn't got a towhook!

I agree about the M6 being spectacular near the borders - the scenery is all the remnants of glaciation from the last ice age. The M5 in Devon is fairly appealing as well.

As to Scotland, if the scenery in the East is good, the Western Highlands - both South and North of Fort William - are nothing short of breath-taking. Or the trip along the glen from Fort William to Inverness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back