Ousi

J

jp.oog

IMG_20150723_131242_hdr 2.jpgIMG_20150723_131340_hdr 2.jpgIMG_20150723_131138_hdr 2.jpgIMG_20150723_131405_hdr_edit.jpgIMG_20150723_131536_hdr.jpg

I remember working for a company in 1999 when the head of marketing bought an A2...all 6ft 2in of him. I was amazed at its clever design but not the price!
In 2008 I needed another car as my 203000mile Mercedes was retiring and the A2 was first choice. My first A2 had a short life with me as a taxi driver drove into it when it was parked and made it a write off. The search was on for another.
I've had this car for five years now. Its not been without the usual problems associated with the A2 but they are all fixed. I guess it started out as a standard car at first but over the last 18 months things have progressed and more creature comforts were added partly due to natural replacement ( suspension and paintwork) or wanting a little more luxury and modernity (leather and RNSE) and a more individual look (wheels and tyres).
Have I finished? Well I think HID's could be next.

Looking good James. I'm having trouble identifying the wheels, they look like Audi A3 sportback wheels but they are 5x112. Have you fitted them with wobble bolts? Either way they really suit the A2.

Hi Steve. Thanks for the compliment. The wheels are indeed 5x112 so i fitted adpators to correct the offset too.
Looking good James. I'm having trouble identifying the wheels, they look like Audi A3 sportback wheels but they are 5x112. Have you fitted them with wobble bolts? Either way they really suit the A2.

I don't think that wobble bolts can take up the 12mm difference (several wheel companies that sell them told me they couldn't)

If you need a spacer then you are in luck, because you can combine the two as James did (the end result looks fantastic!!!)

Steve B

I don't think that wobble bolts can take up the 12mm difference (several wheel companies that sell them told me they couldn't)

If you need a spacer then you are in luck, because you can combine the two as James did (the end result looks fantastic!!!)

Steve B

Of course not, for some reason I was thinking there was only a 2mm difference. It's been a long day.

Thanks Steve. You're right. The spacers correct the offset and PCD. Its hard to visualise what a wheel will look like on a car until its fitted. Though I did used to hunt out A3s with the same wheels and park next to them to help.

Its hard to visualise what a wheel will look like on a car until its fitted.

Very true, even photoshop doesn't help, you can only tell in the flesh!!!

But they look like they were meant to be on the A2!

Steve B

Well spotted Mike. Its a storage centre armrest we got in Neckarsulm along with the drinks flasks.

That car looks better every time I see it - fantastic with those wheels James! Did you drive the continent with those fitted?

Oh, and by the way, "ousi" means sister (slang) in Zulu!

Keep up the good work.

blue skies
tony

Last edited:
Hi Tony, sadly i didn't get the wheels ready in time for the trip. They needed a refurb. I had just scrubbed the car before taking those pictures.
Sister eh? Interesting.
Its me that should be saying keep up the good work to you Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
They are machined aluminium spacers/adaptors with a bore of 57.1. They convert PCD 5x100 to 5x112 with offset correction ET35 to ET56 20mm(specifically for these wheels). Bear in mind you may need spiggot rings if the bore of the wheel is not 57.1

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I used to always get mixed up with ET measurements. I never used to know if an ET larger than 35 would move the wheels closer in to the car or further away.

Thanks to the knowledgeable members on here it was explained which way around it works and that the higher the ET number of the wheel the further into the arch the wheel will sit. (i.e. closer to the car)

So if you buy a wheel that is ET 56, it will be 21mm closer to the car than the standard ET35 and so a spacer of 20mm is needed.
A wheel with an ET of 20 will be 15mm further out from the car (i.e. sticking out exposing the tread) and closer to the wheel arch.

So any wheel above 35 MAY need a spacer as James has used.

Anything less than 35 may be too far out and there is no way to bring a wheel back closer to the car (machining the face of the wheel is not going to make much difference and weakens the wheel).

Steve B

I like the aux input...I presume it can be handy for charging iPhones etc. Can you share how you did this?

Thanks allan

Back