Overboost

Gazbo

Does anybody know whether the A2 TDi Sport 75 uses overboost under hard acceleration?! The reason I ask is that mine appears to be way quicker than 12.5 secs 0-60 as quoted in Audi's literature. I would guess more like 8-9 myself.

As far as I know it's totally factory standard. Audi Direct to me at 3 months old. I've never touched it, don't want to void the warranty. I do know for certain that it's way faster than 12s 0-60 though. Rough timed it around 9s and that wasn't exactly caning it either. Can't explain it.

Gazbo, have a look at your rear brakes, if they are discs you have got a tdi90 which would account for the performance, I have a 75 and is gets dropped from the lights by most super minis, still warranty up next week, can feel a chipping coming on!!

I am sure your query is simply answered but thought that an experience of mine many years ago may be of interest.
Worked for Volvo Uk at the time and would take any car available for meetings or long journeys. Took a 460 for a trip from London to Birmingham and back. Was amazed at the instant acceleration that was on tap all the time, the car had a standard Garret turbocharger, and would take off like a startled rabbit at the mearest squeeze of the pedal.
On return to Volvo took the car into the mechanics and asked if something was wrong. Some while later I was told that the waste-gate on the turbo had remained stuck open for the whole journey and was the cause of the problem. There was in fact a dial which gave this information on the dashboard, but as it was a strange car to me I didn't see it, and in my defence it was well tucked away. Car was undamaged.
Quite a tribute to the turbo unit and the Renault engine.

tdiman said:
Gazbo, have a look at your rear brakes, if they are discs you have got a tdi90 which would account for the performance, I have a 75 and is gets dropped from the lights by most super minis, still warranty up next week, can feel a chipping coming on!!

Must confess that we've never felt shortchanged by the performance of our 75 - but then we're more interested in the 'in-gear' acceleration than the standing start. In which case, I think the TDI is rather better than most superminis....

I know I had to use more throttle than expected in our C43AMG when following my partner who was in the A2 a while back!

Definately got rear drums. I don't believe the wastegate is stuck, I know what that feels like. Feels like normal boost to me. I guess I should be happy.

If the waste gate is stuck open it will be a sloooooow monster with no acceleration.
Stuck closed............well thats another matter!!!!

maersk said:
If the waste gate is stuck open it will be a sloooooow monster with no acceleration.
Stuck closed............well thats another matter!!!!
Long time ago, must have been the other way round. Regards

Back