Paint flaking off!!

tigas

Hi. Who says A2s can't rust?

I just noticed this on my roof. How quickly should I get it sorted. Now-ish or RIGHT NOW?!

I just noticed this on my roof. How quickly should I get it sorted. Now-ish or RIGHT NOW?!

Hi, I think it is where a stone chip has removed the paint down to bare metal, and the bare aluminium will start to oxidise. You will probably notice a white powdery sustance on the bare metal.

You should really get it seen too soon.

Cheers

Sarge

I would say RIGHT NOW as we are coming into winter and all the salt and frost now should be the best time, water will get under the laquer and just keep lifting it up and your problem will just get bigger and BIGGER + the cost to put right ;)

Phil

that could have also started from bird poo not being cleaned off straight away, some times it only takes a couple of days to start eating the paint!!!! horrible stuff!:mad: get it sorted as soon as

that could have also started from bird poo not being cleaned off straight away, some times it only takes a couple of days to start eating the paint!!!! horrible stuff!:mad: get it sorted as soon as

That would have to be some bird poo, looks to me more like a Chip as Sarge said. Yes bird lime is nasty stuff but if the car is well polished it will take sometime to eat into the paint but it wouldn't do this, it pits the paint

Phil

You're not having a good run of luck at the moment with your A2 are you :(
Keep the faith!

Could have been bird poo... Could very well have been. My car is not very polished at the best of times - it's usually washed by rainfall. It was professionally polished a year ago, though. I think I'll have to learn to keep a mister and some paper towels in the car for those "unfortunate" moments...

Last edited:
I would say RIGHT NOW as we are coming into winter and all the salt and frost now should be the best time, water will get under the laquer and just keep lifting it up and your problem will just get bigger and BIGGER + the cost to put right ;)

Phil

In fact, that's the white circle on the left: a piece of lifted lacquer. When it had rained the night before, a BIG bubble of water seemed to be stopped on top of the roof and I thought "That can't be right!". I looked closely, touched the bubble and thought "Dearie, now you've dun it...". :(

The reddish circle on the right is primary - I hope, isn't it supposed to be white? And I thought aluminium was coloured... alumini-y? :confused:

I'll try to get a better picture when I get the car back from the oil leak investigation - my mobile was all I had on me and it does not have auto-focus.

Agree with everyone on this, get it done sooner rather than later. We had a similar experience with the Lupo ( yeah I know its steel )- but corrosion started to bubble in 2 similar areas - adjacent to the strip between the roof and side panels. I pushed VW and got this repaired under the 12 year warranty, successfully arguing that this could not have happened by surface damage. This could be a similar kind of thing with your A2, so there'll be no harm in asking. Its just a pity that the bubble of paint has come away as this would have helped you decide if a stonechip could have started the problem or not. Good luck with it, seems you could do with a turn of good fortune with your wee pal!! ;) :D

Back