Paint suggestions to color match plastics

mars

Hello, A2OC. I am once again asking for your advice here.

I'm thinking of forking over some thirty bucks to Audi Tradition for the famous under handbrake tray to spruce up my loved one's A2 (here seen in spectacular Audi Tradition quality)
901_IPZT_8z0711549aec3~8z0711549aec3~1_ENG_001-lg.jpg

Thing is, the part in the correct soul black is more on the fifty bucks side, hefty for shallow pockets and frankly a bit silly for what it nets; so I figured I could just paint the cheaper platinum grey one for less - and, at the end of it, have a can to touch the car up should I need to.

So, does any of you have recommendations for what paint to use (bonus points for online shops as I'm not British), tips for the process, or better ideas? If so, they're as always appreciated. :)

Your answer is Volico paint. They are based in Germany and their paint is a fantastic match to the OEM Audi plastics.

This is the actual product that you want.....

Ironically I have gone the other way from dark grey to platinum

Your answer is Volico paint. They are based in Germany and their paint is a fantastic match to the OEM Audi plastics.

Thanks for the tip!
Strikes me as pricy for how much you get, but I guess if no one has a worthwhile alternative I'll bite the bullet, woe is me :p.
Can it be used to repaint the worn out buttons?

To use the paint wash and dry the item and remove any pealing coating - you may need to rewash afterwards. Shake the can well and apply the first light mist coat. This will make the paint bond better. Apply a few more coats until a nice even finish is obtained.

In theory yes you could paint the buttons, the only issue is you would need to find some sort of masking that is the same shape as the button icons so they would be visible after the paint.

In theory yes you could paint the buttons, the only issue is you would need to find some sort of marking that is the same shape as the button icons so they would be visible after the paint.
Yes, that is what I was thinking.
Surely someone's done something similar by now, right? If not, I could just get some adhesives and have them laser-cut.

I have not been able to find "off the shelf" masking icons for the A2 switches so yes you would probably need to have them custom laser cut.

If you do have them made could you either provide a link for others who wish to paint their buttons or consider supplying them yourself?

There is (was) someone on here who used to refurbish buttons but not sure if he is still active or providing this service through the club now.

Ironically I have gone the other way from dark grey to platinum
If I may ask - I assume you're talking about having colored a textured part, and as such that you forewent the wet sanding and topcoat parts, as one would do for leather, right?

There was a contact for masking icons mentioned in a thread a couple of years ago, in Italy! I will see if I can find it.

Andy

Found it quite easily for once. I don't do Facebook so I can't follow the link.

Also for the main light switch if you read on a bit.

Hope it helps.

Andy

Does your car come with the boot-based satnav? If so, it should already have this tray.

Otherwise the one shown is the wrong one as the non-satnav ones are not split into multiple partitions. You'd need a non-connected button insert to even fill the hole here.

Wonder if any A2OC member has knowledge of very small, precision cut, self adhesive characters?
I'll raise a new post shortly, and see if there's any response.
Mac.

You'd need a non-connected button insert to even fill the hole here.
There are other solutions. I removed the nav buttons from my former Cobalt TDI because the system as a whole was inop. I filled in the hole by gluing in a new floor piece cut from a scrap glovebox unit, because there was already flocking on it to match the larger compartments. But I could have fabricated a plain floor and found some flocking velvet online to cover it in. It still wasn't terribly useful though, it wouldn't hold anything much bigger than half a packet of Polos :D

Does your car come with the boot-based satnav? If so, it should already have this tray.
Indeed it doesn't - it doesn't even have a DIS iirc.
The non-satnav ones are not split into multiple partitions.
I knew of two panels existing, but not of why that was, so thanks for the info! This is the only type Audi Tradition has in stock anyway.
You'd need a non-connected button insert to even fill the hole here.
I was indeed thinking of splicing into the cig lighter wiring to wire a USB hub that would make nice use of that button hole, so that wasn't gonna be a problem...
It still wasn't terribly useful though, it wouldn't hold anything much bigger than half a packet of Polos :D
...if I have any concrete issue it's this. I don't know if there's much point in fitting a tray if I can't even come up with anything it could be useful for holding.

The tray itself in which ever format has good storage. What Ian was saying is the small compartment the nav buttons install into is small and only hold an opened packet of polos. This small compartment would make an ideal point to mount USB or Aux sockets but will not hold a hub.

The tray itself in which ever format has good storage. What Ian was saying is the small compartment the nav buttons install into is small and only hold an opened packet of polos.
Oh, ok! That's a welcome reassurance.
This small compartment would make an ideal point to mount USB or Aux sockets but will not hold a hub.
I was thinking something like 2 sockets, 3 at most - it's still a hub from the electronic standpoint but no, I wouldn't even see the value in having that many sockets - especially given you could just have a cig lighter adapter for the rear and both have one port for every passenger and have the rear passenger actually be able to reach theirs.

The single compartment part indexed "D" indeed seems to be unavailable. I assume these "A" ones are left because they would only ever have been replacements or retrofits.

Mine will not even fit my mobile phone as it interferes with the handbrake lever, which cuts into most of the largest partition. 🙃
(And there is a certain pull to put the phone there because with the handbrake engaged, it fits there nicely, only to then break it with a quick release of the handbrake lever..)

Mine will not even fit my mobile phone as it interferes with the handbrake lever, which cuts into most of the largest partition. 🙃
Perhaps if you slot it between lowered lever and pocket lip?
Either way, should I go forward with my plans for a wicked phone mount, that will be a non-issue...

...come think of it, if we're talking needlessly complicated projects to marginally improve on existing solutions, should someone in here have one such tray and be so kind as to help me with photogrammetry, I could probably design a 3D printed replacement to integrate ports in the rear and nullify fitment and scarcity issues!

I could probably design a 3D printed replacement to integrate ports in the rear and nullify fitment and scarcity issues!
Mars,

If you have 3D printing skills and equipment could you not produce a 3-sided rectangle (with a curved design on the 2 longer straights) with a base to replicate the standard handbrake tray, which could be adhered to the existing handbrake hump with the 12v socket. No expert on these things but it’s probably worth investigating what’s possible.

I admit it would be difficult to fully replicate the textured finish but would that be a deal breaker for an item that is mainly hidden by the seat bolsters and handbrake lever.

My knowledge of 3D printing filament costs is non existent so wouldn’t know if it’s a cheaper alternative or even a viable option.

Kind regards,

Tom

I installed a similar handbrake tray a while ago. I ended up ordering the correct Swing-coloured one, but I may have to paint it again with Volico anyway because the original paint seems to be really soft and it gets nasty marks easily even in normal usage. Volico paint is perfect for the job, the newly painted surface feels much better than the original paint as it seems to be quite old stock.

As for the hole in the tray, I modeled a correct size storage compartment in Blender, 3D-printed and painted it black. Some remarks I noticed; as you said it's really small and nothing really fits it. It should also be printed in ABS as the usual PLA and PET filaments start to bend and deform even in Finnish summer temperatures. I can share the Blender file if someone wants to try printing it. It's better than a hole in the tray but I don't think there's much use for that size compartment other than it looks better.

I'm going to model something more useful for the tray hole anyway in the near future so if you have some clever ideas please share.

Last edited:
Back