Painted wheel drum

keez

When I bought my A2, it had already had its back wheel drum painted red. I am not sure whether this looks classy or cheesy. What is the general consensus with painted wheel drums?

Have a search on the forum - this has been discussed previously and theres some pics from other members. Painted hubs are far better than rusty ones in my opinion and the colour is personal taste. I even paint the rims and hubs on my brake discs, but I'm a bit pernickity!! I think rust looks unsightly at this area and its common with Audis. My A3 is 10 months old and the hubs need a paint.:mad:

Hms. You just gave me a great idea, the rear wheel drums on my A2 are rusty, you think I could paint them? Flourescent green would be my pick on my blue A2. :p
Do you think it would look ok?

Is painting the rear drum a DIY job? That rust looks kind of tough to remove in order to expose the clean metal. Any suggestions?

Absolutely it is a DIY job - wire brush the worst of the rust and dirt then use Smoothrite (or Hammeritr if you want a dimpled finish).

The paint is more Han up to the job and will take the heat and convert the rust too.

Cheers

Mike

Yes I intend to clean up the rust from the rusty wheel drums, and get them coated with some anti-rust solution, then paint them a power green, my dad told me he'll take care of it. Was wondering though, is there something I could paint on the front wheels so they would match the rear ones at least a bit?

Was wondering though, is there something I could paint on the front wheels so they would match the rear ones at least a bit?

Errr the same stuff?! ... I do like the car in your avatar, it shows the colour of beautifully

Regards
SARGE

Heh, thanks, you can see more by clicking Udi's photoshoot in my signature.
I uploaded some photos of my A2 there. Also featuring me and some cute stray dog I found. :)

About the drums, yeah, can I paint something on the front wheels? As I can only see the brake discs there.

You can paint the break calipers the same colour. You can see briefly from my profile pic how nice a painted drum looks :D

What tools do I need to remove the wheel drum? And does the car run without the wheel drum? So I can let it dry up? lol :D

What tools do I need to remove the wheel drum? And does the car run without the wheel drum? So I can let it dry up? lol :D

Yeh the car can quite happily run without your brake drum, you may have a slight stopping issue though ... LOL

takes a couple of hours for the paint to dry, but you shouldn't be painting the surface that the wheel touches, anyway...

Bret

verboten. end.

You just need to do the surface round the outside, the face may not be painted.

I can't actually find my pics, mine are silver, have been for four years. The rears are almost ok, the fronts are fine.

Bret

Why is because the surfaces that mate with the wheel are machined to be exactly flat. If you paint them, you can end up with what is called run-out, where the wheel isn't running true (think of when you see a car with wheel trims half off and seem about to fly off with the next bump).

Also, the alloys act as a heat sink for the hubs and paint will lessen this effect.

Wire brush the worst off and that's all it needs.

Cheers,

Mike

Back