Passenger Electric Window Switch Not Illuminating - New Switch The Only Fix?

J3FVW

My passenger front electric window switch doesn't illuminate when the lights are switched on.

Is the only way to fix the issue to buy a new switch or can a bulb be changed somehow to cure it?

This is more likely to be related to the door control module than the switch. Does the window wind up and down (either from drivers buttons or passengers buttons)? If the answer is no then your problem is that the door control module (there is one in each door) is sulking/faulty.
In my case this was just because my battery was on it's last legs and the drop in voltage caused the module to loose the plot. It fails safe to prevent any window winding accidents! If you are in ponty and stuck then I am on hols next week and only live a mile off J32 M62.

This is more likely to be related to the door control module than the switch. Does the window wind up and down (either from drivers buttons or passengers buttons)? If the answer is no then your problem is that the door control module (there is one in each door) is sulking/faulty.
In my case this was just because my battery was on it's last legs and the drop in voltage caused the module to loose the plot. It fails safe to prevent any window winding accidents! If you are in ponty and stuck then I am on hols next week and only live a mile off J32 M62.
The window is working fine - it's just the switch that doesn't light up when the lights are on. Would this point more towards the switch than the module?

Big thanks for your offer to help out next week :) I'm working but my workplace is literally just off the Ferrybridge Services roundabout if I get stuck

Hi Jeff,

If you can wait until your scheduled trip to Lancaster, I'd be more than happy to diagnose this issue for you. I've got spares of all related parts so can easily establish the location of the fault without you having the buy parts you may not need.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom - I might do that :)

I've got new front interior door handles to fit in the next few weeks together with the drivers door strap (and maybe the passenger door strap as a precaution if the door panel is being removed anyway). If I knew it was definitely just the switch I would swap it at the same time but don't want to spend money and the new one doesn't illuminate.

Quick update - I've only ever operated the passenger electric window from the switch on the drivers side. Tonight before I set off from work I tried the passenger switch and it doesn't operate the window in addition to the non-illumination issue.

Does this point to the switch being a dud and needing replacement or could it be a more complex problem? The passenger window works fine when operated from the drivers side switch and also goes down and up without a problem when controlled from the remote fob holding down the respective lock and unlock buttons.

Help!!

Quick update - I've only ever operated the passenger electric window from the switch on the drivers side. Tonight before I set off from work I tried the passenger switch and it doesn't operate the window in addition to the non-illumination issue.

Does this point to the switch being a dud and needing replacement or could it be a more complex problem? The passenger window works fine when operated from the drivers side switch and also goes down and up without a problem when controlled from the remote fob holding down the respective lock and unlock buttons.

Help!!

I would take the door card off and check the connections. They "lock in" so they shouldn't be loose, but it might save you buying a switch (although the chances are you will need to.

Perhaps someone on here has a very worn one that they don't want and you could fit that to see if it cures the issue.

Steve B

Your problems sound less severe than they might have been! Sorry if you know this already, but the A2 (like many modern cars) uses a network to communicate between a selection of modules around the car. Each door has a module. Modules control the physical stuff, door locking on that particular door, windows etc. The instructions come from anywhere on the network. So your drivers door window switch is not directly connected to the passenger door (like you would get on a two way domestic lighting switch). Instead, the drivers door sends a message onto the network when you use the passenger door window switch. If the passenger door module is functioning then it will pick up this code off the network and act on it. This seams to be working fine on your car, so it might be either a dodgy switch or a poorly plugged in connector.

Back