Petrol Cap switch button

Mystique

Hi All

Issue I am having is that when my door opens the switch to pen the petrol cover does not light up and does not work to open the petrol cover, is this a bigger electrical problem or is it an easy fix. any fix videos would be helpful?

I'm sure that someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon but you have a fairly common problem which seems to be caused by a microswitch in the driver's door. First check is to see whether the dashboard indicates that the driver's door is open when you open it. If it doesn't, the petrol flap switch also won't know that the door is open so won't allow you to use it - the switch only works when the driver's door is open. If the dashboard display does show that the driver's door is open, I suspect you will need a new switch. In the meantime, you can open the petrol flap by using a lever hidden behind the offside rear lights cluster inside the boot. I hope that helps.

One thing to try before someone comes along with the replacement solution is to try pushing the button harder.
A few months ago pushing the button on mine wouldn't open the flap; the main man at my service garage tried with the same results, the apprentice (who is strongly built, like a farmer) tried and the flap opened, and has been working fine since.

Andrew

Ok the driver does not show as open only the passenger side flashes up when i open that door, any ideas?
15266407899011231111672.jpg

Last edited:
...you have a fairly common problem which seems to be caused by a microswitch in the driver's door.

This is correct. The fuel flap will only open if the car knows the driver's door is open. If the little switch within the driver's door lock fails, the car doesn't know the driver's door is open and thus you cannot open the fuel flap. Fix the issue with the switch in the driver's door, and everything will work perfectly again.

The switches can be repaired (it's often not the switch at fault but the solder joints within its tracks) or the entire lock assembly can be replaced.
In the meantime, you can open the petrol flap by using a lever hidden behind the offside rear lights cluster inside the boot.

Absolutely. Open the boot. On the right, there is an access hatch that allows you to change the bulbs in the rear-right light cluster. Open this, and you'll see the mechanism that opens the fuel flap. Pull the vertical bar downwards and your fuel flap will open.
This is a stop-gap solution that doesn't negate the need to fix the issue in the driver's door. A failed microswitch has more knock-on consequences than an inoperable fuel flap. If you don't fix the root cause, eventually you'll end up with your keys locked inside the car.

Cheers,

Tom

This is correct. The fuel flap will only open if the car knows the driver's door is open. If the little switch within the driver's door lock fails, the car doesn't know the driver's door is open and thus you cannot open the fuel flap. Fix the issue with the switch in the driver's door, and everything will work perfectly again.

The switches can be repaired (it's often not the switch at fault but the solder joints within its tracks) or the entire lock assembly can be replaced.

Absolutely. Open the boot. On the right, there is an access hatch that allows you to change the bulbs in the rear-right light cluster. Open this, and you'll see the mechanism that opens the fuel flap. Pull the vertical bar downwards and your fuel flap will open.
This is a stop-gap solution that doesn't negate the need to fix the issue in the driver's door. A failed microswitch has more knock-on consequences than an inoperable fuel flap. If you don't fix the root cause, eventually you'll end up with your keys locked inside the car.

Cheers,

Tom
Thanks Tom,

Is their a video or guide on how to fix this issue with the door?

Thanks Tom,

Is their a video or guide on how to fix this issue with the door?

There could be, but unfortunately I don't know. My familiarity with the A2 is such that I don't really use how-to guides, so I don't know what's out there. I've done this particular job so many times for club members across the country.

Cheers,

Tom

There could be, but unfortunately I don't know. My familiarity with the A2 is such that I don't really use how-to guides, so I don't know what's out there. I've done this particular job so many times for club members across the country.

Cheers,

Tom
Will you be able to do this job for my car?

The microswitch that is causing the problem is the door open microswitch. It lives on the outside of the lock and the tracks issue does not effect it so much as trhe door lock and door unlock microswitches inside the lock. You can try and clean the microswitch indirectly by getting a can of WD40 and spraying into the gap in the door between the lock and the door itself. Do this in both the latched position and unlatched position of the lock. You can latch the lock using a screwdriver to simulate the lock engaging the catch. If you are lucky it MAY just be a build up of grease, dirt and fluff that is stopping the microswitch from working correctly. Unfortunately if this does not work you need the microswitch cleaning properly but in many cases it is quicker to swap in a replacement lock assembly.
s-l1600_1__37.jpg

In this picture the door open microswitch is situated at the top right side and has the red and blue wires to connect it and the silver coloured clip on the top to hold it onto the lock. Also on the top you can see a slot that drops down, the upper end of that is the door catch and just to the right is where you have to spray the cleaner. There are guides on here to replace the lock assembly, not too bad a job to do. Hope this helps you.

The microswitch that is causing the problem is the door open microswitch. It lives on the outside of the lock and the tracks issue does not effect it so much as trhe door lock and door unlock microswitches inside the lock. You can try and clean the microswitch indirectly by getting a can of WD40 and spraying into the gap in the door between the lock and the door itself. Do this in both the latched position and unlatched position of the lock. You can latch the lock using a screwdriver to simulate the lock engaging the catch. If you are lucky it MAY just be a build up of grease, dirt and fluff that is stopping the microswitch from working correctly. Unfortunately if this does not work you need the microswitch cleaning properly but in many cases it is quicker to swap in a replacement lock assembly.
s-l1600_1__37.jpg

In this picture the door open microswitch is situated at the top right side and has the red and blue wires to connect it and the silver coloured clip on the top to hold it onto the lock. Also on the top you can see a slot that drops down, the upper end of that is the door catch and just to the right is where you have to spray the cleaner. There are guides on here to replace the lock assembly, not too bad a job to do. Hope this helps you.
Brilliant, can you point me to the guides on here that tells you how to replace it, sorry I am new to the forum and still finding my feet...?

I’m in Staines if you need help, I’ve done the micro switch on ours as we had the same problem

Back