Pierburg vs Bosch

gangitano85

A2OC Donor
Belgium
Does anyone have any experience or feedback with the Pierburg brand? Our Golf needs a new tandem pump, the Bosch one and Pierburg one are about the same price, but most on Autodoc seem the think the latter being of better quality than the Bosch one.

No one really knows, only that Bosch ones 'appear' to last longer on A2, but is that becasue they were fitted to AMF engines with smaller inhectors and less power demands. The LUK ones, were on 90's and have harder life I guess? Pierburg made all the carbs for earlier mk2 golfs and jettas so no doubt theyre good. Try golf forum, without meaning to sound rude :) If I had a performance version of any car try and keep OEM I guess as its been fitted to be better than stock demands.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback with the Pierburg brand? Our Golf needs a new tandem pump, the Bosch one and Pierburg one are about the same price, but most on Autodoc seem the think the latter being of better quality than the Bosch one.
I have no experience of Pierburg in the context of the A2 but I can say that the Pierburg low pressure fuel pump that I had fitted to my Land Rover Freelander td4 over two years ago is a vast improvement over the 'no name' pump that a previous owner had fitted.
Bosch make an alternative pump for the Freelander but Pierburg is the preferred choice for most people.

Long standing brand, from the carburettor era. I have had good experience in other car makers. They make an intake manifold like the one in the 1.6 fsi for a different car maker and it is bullet proof.

I cringed at the thought of anything Pierburg but that is only because I see constant criticism of their carbs on MK2 Golf owners forums. They refer to them as Pooburgs and swap them out for Webers.
That is not to say though Pierburg don't make good tandem pumps but I personally would go with Bosch. My TDi 75 was supplied with a Luk, hopeless leaky pump that cost me two for sets of hoses. Replaced with Bosch and I've had no problems since.

Thought it best to resurrect this thread than start another, has anyone got any real world experience of a Pierburg tandem pump fitted to an A2?

Mine is due for replacement on my TDi 75 and the Bosch one I ordered turned up as Pierburg. Supplier says Bosch have discontinued this pump (not sure how true that is) and the Pierburg one is actually more expensive, made in Germany, should be as good if not better etc. I can return this but could do without the hassle if avoidable.

I have had similar experiences to Phil with older VWs - Golfs and Aircooled stuff in the past, and Pierburg carbs were always woeful in my experience. Not heard the term Pooburg in many a year, that did make me laugh! Would be helpful to know if anyone has any direct A2 Pierburg experience to report back on. Thanks!

I think you will struggle to find somebody who has a Pierburg tandem pump. Bosch has been the choice replacement for a Luk for as long as I can remember. There does appear to be a Bosch supply problem, AutoDoc has zero stock, but Pierburg is within a few £ of being their cheapest alternative. Not sure why you have been charged more than a Bosch?
I think the problem with a Luk is the pressed end cover that I suspect is not rigid and or precise enough. Bosch has a cast end cover with raised areas that will increase rigidity. I've not taken mine off but I suspect it is machined on the sealing face. Pierburg appears to have the Bosch end cover so perhaps will not leak like a Luk? However I wouldn't want to pay more for it than for a Bosch.

I think you will struggle to find somebody who has a Pierburg tandem pump. Bosch has been the choice replacement for a Luk for as long as I can remember. There does appear to be a Bosch supply problem, AutoDoc has zero stock, but Pierburg is within a few £ of being their cheapest alternative. Not sure why you have been charged more than a Bosch?
I think the problem with a Luk is the pressed end cover that I suspect is not rigid and or precise enough. Bosch has a cast end cover with raised areas that will increase rigidity. I've not taken mine off but I suspect it is machined on the sealing face. Pierburg appears to have the Bosch end cover so perhaps will not leak like a Luk? However I wouldn't want to pay more for it than for a Bosch.
Thanks for the reply Phil, appreciate it. I guess not many have fitted the Pierburg, or have and are not experiencing any issues with it. Either way, I've managed to find a supplier in the UK who are able to send one out, and for less than the Pierburg I have here, so fingers crossed. Hoping the gasket is included too...

Thanks for the reply Phil, appreciate it. I guess not many have fitted the Pierburg, or have and are not experiencing any issues with it. Either way, I've managed to find a supplier in the UK who are able to send one out, and for less than the Pierburg I have here, so fingers crossed. Hoping the gasket is included too...
My Bosch came without a gasket. I bought a genuine Audi gasket. All has been well for some time now.

Not related to the tandem pump, but I would happily and confidently fit anything pierburg, they make a lot of the genuine EGR valves

The two OEM manufacturers of the tandem pumps are LUK and Bosch. All the others are pattern "copies" of those.

Even if you do get a bundled gasket it needs to be the correct one with the two tracts of blue silicone - if not it will leak

Scratch that - supplier got in touch again to say the Bosch pumps are unavailable so I'm back with a Pierburg as I can't find a Bosch one (possibly) in stock anywhere for less than £300 in the UK, and it's booked into the garage next Monday so can't take any chances.

Attaching a couple of pics if of interest to anyone - outer box is Pierburg logo'd but the box label and instructions are branded Rheinmetall / ms-motorservice.com. Comes with some rough grinder marks to the outer edges and a plain textured gasket but I've got an Elring one with the blue silicone on to replace. Assuming this is a pattern copy, but it'll have to do...

Attachments

• IMG_3183.JPG
    IMG_3183.JPG
    958.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3184.JPG
    IMG_3184.JPG
    817.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3185.JPG
    IMG_3185.JPG
    582.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3186.JPG
    IMG_3186.JPG
    600.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3187.JPG
    IMG_3187.JPG
    728.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Audifan is right but before you do that make sure that all of the crush ridges on the Elring match with a machined surface on the back of the pump.

The Pierburg pump saga continues...

Garage fitted the new pump today but could not get the car to start despite various different approaches, I double checked and they'd primed the system as part of the switch too. Old (leaky) pump refitted, started straight up without issue. The only conclusion they could reach was the pump was faulty. Pierburg heading back to supplier, and I've luckily managed to find a Bosch pump in the UK. Was a bit cheaper than listed here when I phoned up, link might be of use to someone:

In better news they flushed out years of gunk from the heater matrix and I have actual heat (not just tepid air) in the car for the first time in my 7 years of ownership...😂

Pooburg strikes again? I really didn’t expect that.
Why did they flush the heater matrix? Completely unrelated job, but pleased you have heat.

Pooburg strikes again? I really didn’t expect that.
Why did they flush the heater matrix? Completely unrelated job, but pleased you have heat.
It dates back to when I first got the car, the coolant was mostly brown and sludgey due to severe lack of maintenance and had some overheating issues. New cylinder head, radiator, few other bits and a coolant change later I got things running again and all was well.

The heating was never great but had been getting worse in recent months. Put a new thermostat/temp switch and fresh coolant in when I had the timing belt done in Dec but didn't make any difference, so it was time to get everything flushed out thoroughly to see if that solved the issue.

Should've definitely done it sooner...

Scratch that - supplier got in touch again to say the Bosch pumps are unavailable so I'm back with a Pierburg as I can't find a Bosch one (possibly) in stock anywhere for less than £300 in the UK, and it's booked into the garage next Monday so can't take any chances.

Attaching a couple of pics if of interest to anyone - outer box is Pierburg logo'd but the box label and instructions are branded Rheinmetall / ms-motorservice.com. Comes with some rough grinder marks to the outer edges and a plain textured gasket but I've got an Elring one with the blue silicone on to replace. Assuming this is a pattern copy, but it'll have to do...
Rheinmetall own Pierburg, a slightly strange acquisition I admit.

That laser etching in “generic” font never gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling

Back