Pipe problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldi a2

Hi everyone!
I wrote a while back about a problem that I had with my Open Sky sunroof, in as much as it was sticking on the few scorching hot days that we get (normal hot days not a problem)and yes I do live in the UK. It would tilt and then sit there and sulk till it cooled down.Well good news! my local Audi dealer obtained the jig which is bigger than the car and has set it up correctly, it is now working fine, fingers crossed.Whilst the car was in to get fixed I told them about my rear number plate light which had fell out, this I was told was due to the screws corroding and then expanding thus cracking the lens.I have since had a sneeky look at another A2 in a a multi storey car park and it was the same ( I bet yours is too).
My car is a 2002 A2 1.4 TDI SE 75ps which has only done 9000 miles from new (I need to get out more)the problem I have had over the last six months is that a rubber hose has come off twice, the first time it happened outside my place of work ,I asked Audi assist to have alook at it ,when the Technician turned up he said "I think I know what the problem is" ,he was right this pipe had come off.He then put it back on and used a new jubilee clip and really tightened it, this cured the problem until last week when it happened again outside my front door after returning home (lucky or what)I replaced it myself.The symptoms are a loss of power from The Mighty three cylinder engine which sounds like a Lancaster Bomber without an exhaust pipe.I have just returned from my local Audi Dealer and explained the problem and they are going to order a new pipe,I hope they can cure the problem because last week I had a day out in the Welsh countryside,I was driving along and then got stuck behind a lorry I noticed that the road ahead was clear so I indicated and went to overtake,but wait a minute! whats that dot on the horizon? is it the The Starship Enterprise doing warp factor nine? no it was a motor bike rider doing 2000mph, I managed to return to my side of the road without having to use the screen wash or the need for clean underwear,but all joking aside I shudder to think what would have happened if the pipe had decided to fall off at that particular moment.
I had the car serviced at the end of April this year and I decided that I had better check my tyre pressures recently, so I used the pen type pressure gauge, all four tyres were 24PSI ,when I checked the specs inside the fuel filler cap it said 36PSI front and 38PSI rear,I suspect the pressures were either not checked or inflated to a lower pressure to give the car a softer ride as I could not see all four tyres losing the same amount of air .Has anyone else experienced the pipe problem on the diesel model or tyre pressures too low?, after I inflated them to the stipulated pressures,my son commented on the ride being hard(I know the difference between PSI and Bar),thank Goodness the sunroof now works or I would have to wear a crash helmet to stop me bashing my brains out on the roof due to the hard ride. Bye for now OldiA2.

Ref the problem of the corroding number plate light screws. Mine started rusting after a few months so I replaced them with stainless self tappers from a Screwfix selection box. (see page 12 in catalogue no.75 if you'r interested) The thread form was not identical to the Audi part but they screwed in easily and have been in place for over 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back