Please help me!

henryb33r

Hi guys! I recently bought my second daily driver car at 17, a 75ps A2 sport 1.4 TDI. The car seems great, it has 91,000 miles and I picked it up for just under £1500 (and no, it's not a write off). It needs a service, air bag light sorting, new brake pedal switch and lots of other minor jobs.

More concerningly though I have this thumping/knocking noise when I accelerate hard and let off the throttle hard. It's fast on the power so I'm sure it's not a gearbox dogbone mount, could it potentially be engine mounts, or something I'm not aware of? (Please watch the video and you will see what I mean).

How have you eliminated the dog bone? That would be the first thing I would look at if the entire transmission is pivoting on acceleration. I've had to replace all three on our cars, one of which was similarly clunky to that.

Hi guys! I recently bought my second daily driver car at 17, a 75ps A2 sport 1.4 TDI. The car seems great, it has 91,000 miles and I picked it up for just under £1500 (and no, it's not a write off). It needs a service, air bag light sorting, new brake pedal switch and lots of other minor jobs.

More concerningly though I have this thumping/knocking noise when I accelerate hard and let off the throttle hard. It's fast on the power so I'm sure it's not a gearbox dogbone mount, could it potentially be engine mounts, or something I'm not aware of? (Please watch the video and you will see what I mean).

Dog bone mount loose or failing

How have you eliminated the dog bone? That would be the first thing I would look at if the entire transmission is pivoting on acceleration. I've had to replace all three on our cars, one of which was similarly clunky to that.
Thanks for the reply mate! Is there just 1 dog bone mount then? Or is there 3?

Hi,
If you suspect engine mounts there are only 3 as you know. The cheapest to replace is the lower mount with a VW polo part.
As others have said above I tend to agree dobone as this part has a push & pull loading force exerted on it by the engine.
Once you replaced that part if the noise returns put the car up on axle stands located under the front console wishbone mounts. Rock the engine by hand to locate the problem.

Good luck :) 👍

You probably already know where to put those axle stands but if not here's a photo of where I mean. Take no notice of the captions there from another topic
20240221_153639.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have ruled out the dog bone then you can test the engine without the load of the car being exerted through the drive wheels.

You don't need to put the car on axle stands to rock the engine.
The reason for this is so you can remove both road wheels but do put the wheel nuts back in the hubs just half way. Get an assistant to drive and brake the car while you stand to the left or right if it (not in front of it, and watch out for the rotating hub, you don't want to get caught up) and listen for that clunk noise.
If there's no noise move to the next check.

Suspension components

NOTE
The universal joints in your drive shafts will be at a bigger angle than usual so they may grumble a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back