Plunger Sound- What is it? EGR?

Foghorn

OK I am now getting fed up with the 'plunger' sound that I get after a long motorway run. When I 'blip' the throttle or press it when motoring I can hear a distinctive rubber suction type sound.

I'm thinking its the EGR? Will replacing the EGR get rid of it and is it worth it. Other than the noise the car runs great.

I did hear a story of a guy with a Renault who's EGR failed and the engine lost all power resulting in it being recovered - not good when he was in France!

I too have an "oinking" car that I would like to resolve! Novelty factor wearing off now I hope that the people in the know offer a better solution than meine of turning the stereo up!

It all sounds like the infamous mooing that we all described a few years back.

There are ways and means of reducing the noise (Audi use a stand-off to keep it away from the firewall), but it doesn't normally signify an impending EGR failure, so rest easy on that front.

Brian, if you want a scan or a once over, just ask.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike - I may need that as the erratic AC air temp is starting to bug -sounds like a faulty thermostat (?) and only seem to do it when air temp is balanced. i.e rapid cooling no problem but when the fan slows as air temp becomes close to the set temp I will get a sudden blast of hot air!

Hmmm, possibly more terminal than that - it might be compressor failure as those were the exact same symptoms I had a couple of years back before my compressor gave up the ghost.

As and when you need me, drop me a line.

Cheers,

Mike

I too have an "oinking" car that I would like to resolve! Novelty factor wearing off now I hope that the people in the know offer a better solution than meine of turning the stereo up!

Hi Paul,

Sorry! Forgot to mention this problem. It seemed to be intermittent though? i.e. could go for weeks with no problem, then it would come back.

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Graham

To follow up the thread Spike linked to. If you can get it to "ugg" (deep bass sound from passenger footwell area) by touching the throttle when the engine is hot and you are crawling in traffic then it is 99% likely to be a sticking EGR valve. Mine was fixed under warranty 2 years back and the problem hasn't returned. The dealer spent a day looking for other faults before changing the EGR, but since it was a warranty thing I was happy with the service :)

I am not sure if you can clean the valve?? And since then I have used decent fuel and given the car a good run every week to keep it clean (~30k since change).

Cheers,

David

Hi Paul,

Sorry! Forgot to mention this problem. It seemed to be intermittent though? i.e. could go for weeks with no problem, then it would come back.

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Graham

Graham

Thats ok, everyone I have had (3) has done it so I expected it to be the norm. Ironically it has stopped at the moment (or I am just not hearing it!) only a minor niggle!

Still loving the car, dash conversion complete with RNS-e now! Few more projects soon!

Hope the TT going well.

My wife's A2 suffered from this when she first got it. Audi are aware of the problem. They replaced the rubber mounts that the EGR valve sits on free-of-charge under warranty. Still hear it, but it's not as noisy as before.

Back