Poor FM Reception - VCDS to the Rescue

PlasticMac

United-Kingdom
I have poor FM reception, and as the radio has been in and out a few times recently, (Bluetooth, USB etc), I though maybe the Concert II had lost it's Diversity coding.
Sadly, no. Coding was 00003, CD changer, (2) + Diversity, (1).
On a whim, I checked for DTCs on the radio. I was very pleased that I did, it told me that the cable to the Diversity was open circuit! The cable was not held firmly in the crimp barrel, and turned easily, so that's the problem.
Has anyone had any success with fitting a Fakra connector, without special crimp tools?
So, VCDS is not just for engines and sensors.
Mac.

Not fitted one myself sorry. Most crimp connectors can be soldered instead of crimping, or if already crimped to provide a filler between the wire and the contact. If possible depin the plastic housing before soldering to prevent melting the plastic.

Not fitted one myself sorry. Most crimp connectors can be soldered instead of crimping, or if already crimped to provide a filler between the wire and the contact. If possible depin the plastic housing before soldering to prevent melting the plastic.
I'm hoping a local car radio tech will fit it for me, he has the crimp tool. I did contact a car audio shop, but they wanted an initial payment of £150 to diagnose the problem, and advise on the fix. Needless to say, I didn't pursue it.
If all else fails, I'll go the solder route, but the centre pin and the wire, are very small, and the cable, coming out of the radio loom, is not very long, so soldering in the cramped space that is the radio slot, will be a challenge.
🤞
Mac.

Reactions: mtl
Back