possible gearbox problem????

scott

A2OC Donor
I have a small rattle that sounds like it has something to do with the gear box, on tick over I can hear a very faint rattle how can I explain? It rattles 3 times very closely together then silent for a second or two then back again and its just a continuous thing, but when I put my foot on the clutch its silent.
Could it be it needs some oil in the gear box??? how do I check/add gearbox oil?? any ideas what it could be, the car drives fine and clutch and gear change is normal????

Sorry for the bad description its a hard one to describe, hope it gives you some idea of what it is.

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott
Changing / topping up the gearbox oil is covered in this thread - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4261&highlight=gearbox+oil+change.
Its always difficult to diagnose noises from a word description but it could be a worn clutch release bearing. More tell-tale signs would be a whirring noise right on the point of clutch engagement (or release) as the stationary bearing 'spins up' on the point of contact with the rotating clutch cover

Cheers Spike

Now you have said that it does sound like a bearing, I will have to get it checked out I will have a read through the thread thanks for that

Cheers

Scott

Back