Possible Intercooler Leak

wilco184

Member of the year 2015
Hi,

I've just been looking through the photographs of when I upgraded to a dual tone horn, and I've noticed what is either dirt or oil residue around the intercooler. It's only very slight, but do you think this is an indication of a leak appearing or just dirt from the road? :p

Please notice the dark area on the aluminium crash bars.

I've noticed no drop in power, and the car goes very well. It's certainly feels quite nippy for just 75 BHP. I'll give it a good look over soon, but I'd appreciate knowing if anyone thinks this is indication of a leak. :)

Regards,

Matt.

Last edited:
Hi Matt,

The oil residue normally appears around the seam where the end "caps" join the mesh of the "radiator" on the intercooler.

All I can see in the picture is part of the bottom seam of the intercooler, but I can see no evidence of any oil residue, or the associated muck that collects on the wet oil.

The only dirt and residue I can see if the usual road dirt and dust

Steve B

Interesting those posts from 2008 include pictures when we're having problems with images from this time period. Hopefully we can get it all sorted.

both my petrol and diesel A2 had oily grime at the top half of the rads, even a dead bird decomposed remains sprayed all over one of the rads and saying that even the ones i bought from A2steve are the same, seems to just be road grime that gets in between the grill gaps and posibly overspills from topping up over the years as after cleaning with engine degreaser they aint reappeared so far, but worth cleaning up and keeping an eye on, Go ever so easy on the rads when cleaning as the fins are very delicate, advisable to use a soft paint brush and watering can to rinse as any presure from a hose would damage the fins of the rads

Interesting those posts from 2008 include pictures when we're having problems with images from this time period. Hopefully we can get it all sorted.

I think the problems are for attachments before 2008, I am pretty sure that the problem only affects posts from 2007 and earlier.

Steve B

Last edited:
I think the problems are for attachments before 2008, I am pretty sure that the problem only affects posts from 2007 and earlier.

Steve B

There are some of my posts from 2011 that have unfortunately lost their attachments.

Sorry about the thread swerve.

Tom

There is one problem that appears to be affecting all attachments of threads prior to late 2007.

If there are any threads that have missing attachments after that date then this is likely to be a separate problem.

Steve B

Excellent, thank you for the reassurance. :)

I'll give the end caps a good check tomorrow, but you all seem to be certain that the mark on the crash bars is simply road dirt. :p

Thanks for the help,

Matt.

Back