Possible RNSe Fault :/

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
Hi Guys,

My wife turned on the radio this morning and it had vertical lines and was flashing sporadically. Is the screen at fault or loose wiring somewhere? the radio plays fine but will show a red blank tint to the screen and sometimes flashes with lines as shown in picture.

Any ideas?
20220214_142747.jpg

Attachments

• 20220214_142749.jpg
    20220214_142749.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220214_142841.jpg
    20220214_142841.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 82
Afternoon Cammy,

Hopefully it’s the ribbon cable as this is a simple and quick fix. It might somehow become dislodged or failed. You can try to see if the screens picture improves by pushing on the ribbon cable at the screen end. If that doesn’t work then taking it apart if easy enough if you have a set of precision screwdrivers.

If you do need to take it apart then I’ll add a link here which will guide you through the process.

If the screen does turn out to be at fault then trying to find a replacement is difficult and rather costly. I’ve actually got a spare RNS-E PU here that also needs a replacement screen. Been waiting for one to present itself for a few months now.

Fingers crossed it’s just the ribbon cable either loose as this is a no cost fix. If the ribbon cable is faulty then this isn’t an overly expensive item on eBay, just make sure the replacement comes from a PU (Mk2) unit and not a Mk1.

I’m happy to test it for you here free of charge but that of course involves postage each way so you’re best off seeing if you can test it yourself first. If it makes it’s way to me it would come back running the latest custom firmware but you can do this yourself also.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks Tom, i think i might have to disassemble and check the cable as pressing the bottom of the screen does nothing. I will report back when i've done this.

Cheers

Thanks Tom, i think i might have to disassemble and check the cable as pressing the bottom of the screen does nothing. I will report back when i've done this.

Cheers
Hi Cammy,

Let me know how you get on Sir. I have a RNS-E PU test rig set up here where I can check both the cable and screen, more than happy to help. Hopefully you figure it out from checking the connections.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back