Possibly one less A2 after my accident

Unfortunately I think my lovely Castle Red (not brown) A2 is destined for salvage after a front end accident last night.

Thanks to the stupidity of another motorist in a hurry I was forced to take avoiding action and ended up colliding with another car coming in the opposite direction (front O/S to front O/S).

I'm unsure of the exact damage at the moment, but the f/o/s wheel was pushed backwards and at a 45 degree angle. Both front air bags deployed and the driver’s door only opens to about 300mm (1 foot).

Only just had the cam belt and clutch changed.

So I’m now waiting for the insurance assessor’s report.

A little sad this morning.....so will probably be looking for a replacement A2 very soon....so if there are any A2 TDI's looking for a new home I think I may know one.

Jeff

So sorry to hear your news-I hope you and everyone else is fine.whiplash is very common in a head on crash and may not show for a few days but if it does go to the hospital or doctor (needed for claim).not that I agree with the claim epidemic that is blighting Britain,my wife had whip lash and it is still affecting her 5 years later.
What a shame a fellow castle red a2 is possibly not long for this world.would you consider buying it back from your insurance company ? There is some money to be made breaking it up.
Hope your claim goes well,this is when you find out how good or bad your insurance is! Fingers crossed for you mike

Very sorry to hear of this Jeff - gutted for you (and for the A2 too!).

I'm sure that based on your description, it'll be a write off, but the salvage may well be worth buying back - that was my plan if the worst had happened when I had my prang last year.

Take a deep breath and take your time in making a decision and most improtantly, take good care of your health and an eye out for any delayed reaction.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for your thoughts Mike & Mike. Thankfully the impact speed wasn’t massive (in a 40 zone doing about 36 and braking heavily just before impact), however the car coming in the opposite direction was doing about 40 and didn’t have time to blink let alone brake, so combined impact speed was probably 60mph.

I think physically I’m fine, just a couple of chipped teeth from the steering wheel airbag going off.

I’ve just got some pictures from the recovery company, who have recommended I should not have it repaired, but I’d be interested to know what others thoughts are.

I have asked my insurance company not to send it to the salvage yard yet, and also asked them for a full breakdown of repair costs, including a buy-back price.

Jeff

With a jig and some replacement parts, this looks to be a fairly easy repair.

Don't forget that the spaceframe was made from separate parts welded together, so cutting out a section and putting in a new piece isn't terribly expensive.

Looking at the parts catalogue, the inner lower A pillar section is £230 and the entire fromt outer section is £131.

Yes, wings will be needed (but I know of one, brand new for £30 at a local dealership) and then the rest is bolt in parts, like door skins etc.

The dash can be got from here, after people have upgraded to double DIN units, so if the salvage is priced right, you could actually be quids in, with a bit of hard work and time.

A hanging wheel always looks bad, but it's just the wishbone that's snapped, so you'll need a new one of these, a new tie rod and a new drive-shaft.

Cheers,

Mike

~Sorry to hear of your sad news. Hope everyone involved was alright. I hope your little one isn't a write off and lives to tell another tale.....

I'm sure it would be possible to revive (if you decide too), especially with everyone on this forum to help you on the right path and their knowledge.

Best of luck with your insurance company.

sorrry to see what had happened.

I hope it is not as bad as it looks and is repairable.

It would be a shame to loose a castle red car off the road as there are so few of them.

Watch out for stiffeness and the like, It was a couple of days later it was the worsed for me after a bad smash.

Good Luck

David

My insurance company has just informed me the car is to be collected by a salvage company on Monday morning....I have informed them it isn't.

I have asked them to provide a detailed report on the damage, but so far the only info I have, other than the pictures, is the driver’s footwell has some damage (inward dent I believe - possibly from the driveshaft or something else hitting it).

Mike, thanks for pre-empting my request for a “probable required parts” list. I’m hoping I’ll have a breakdown of exactly what damage has occurred early next week. I believe the car will be making it’s way to Autocraft Ltd in Peterborough on Monday.

Thank you all for your thoughts….I’m fine and the 3rd party I hit is also fine (although her vehicle has suffered similar damage to mine…..however the vehicle that caused all this mayhem only suffered a broken wing mirror (sod’s law I guess).

Sorry to hear of your misfortune; a lovely looking example in arguably a lovely colour.

Best of luck going forward.

Darren

I am glad to hear you are OK, but am sorry for the loss of your A2. What I would say is "How many 10 year old (design wise) cars could take a closing speed accident of 60mph that well, and allow you to open the door and walk away? Your A2 has sacrifised itself for your health and well being, what a car.

Take care, and I hope you are able to find another one to look after you.

David

Back