Potential Oowner - Sheffield

Mrp

Hello all,

After selling my TT Quattro Sport 240 I've bought a MK1 Golf Rivage as a toy and I'm looking for a relatively cheap but reliable daily run around, I've always liked the A2 so I'm on the look out for one!

I've narrowed it down to either a 1.4 tdi (90) or a 1.6 fsi. I want something economical with a bit of poke and both those engines suit the bill, if I can get 40+mpg around town I'll be a happy chap.

A few questions: I've seen the facelift version (post 2004, well late 2003 if my research is right), other than the addition of the 90bhp tdi, slatted grill/inspection panel and some cloth/colour changes is there anything else I've missed? In all honesty I prefer the slatted grill (dons flame suit :eek:).

The cars purpose will be to and from work, shopping duties , load lugging and the odd motorway sprint - Am I right in saying the A2 is perfect for this?
On that note, I Mountain Bike and I plan on transporting 2 bikes here and there maybe once or twice a month, will these fit in the boot or will I need a roof rack?

I'm planning on looking at a Cirrus Blue fsi in Harrogate today so fingers crossed it's as nice as advertised and I'll be driving it home.

Is there anything specific I should be looking out for and are there any really must have options I want? (I 100% want a 4 seater for the configuration options they bring).

Thanks in advance and hopefully you'll be seeing a lot more of me! :cool:

Hi mrp,
The facelift model also came with the Aero Wiper.

In my old tdi90 i could return 40mpg on trips to the shops etc. my fsi is a few mpg lower, but there is also the cost of petrol and diesel difference which makes them very close to run about town.

On the motorway tdi can achieve over 70mpg the fsi around 55mpg.

Welcome. There's no flame suits necessary on A2OC we are a friendly bunch

The grill is personal choice. They're both nice in my view just a personal choice.

The 90 has a bit more poke and adds the rear disc brakes aesthetically. The variable veins turbo and dmf are weak points on them though. I have a remap 90 and love it. You lose some mpg over the 75 but if you're expectations are around 40 you will always do better than that.

Worst we ever see on winter short trips is 46.

look on the general forum and the 'buying and owning an A2' sticky thread. Loads of information there.

Good luck finding a nice one.

Hi,
We have a tdi 90 (un-mapped) its plenty rapid, very punchy! and refuses to dip below 57mpg (I reset ave mpg 1st of the month) I can fit in two mountain bikes side by side with fr wheels and seats removed, and this is with just folding not removing the bench seat.
Be nice to see another A2 in sheff, were just in the process of moving from Donny to Totley. (Blue un-badged slatted grill 53plate if you spot us)!!!
Deffo a good buy that will soon overtake the golf as your toy!

I think it would be fair to say that the "facelift" Special Edition A2 has less options as standard than the earlier SE.

I personally think a 2003 pre-facelift is the best option.

So check the extras when looking at the "special edition" these cars are value for money, but if it is "toys" you want then the best option in my view is a sport with SE optionas fitted.

Steve B

I thought the 'special edition' was the run-out model? I am sure the SE as opposed to the late 'Special Edition' was available after the minor facelift otherwise I would agree with Steve that a specced up sport is about as good as it gets, ride apart. However I wouldn't dismiss a 75tdi which with a remap is quite rapid. I am not far up the road from you in Denby Dale (ignore what it says above, no bleeping clue how to change location having tries umpteen times) with a high spec and much modified 75 tdi sport including a remap if you want a look/try. It is in need of some TLC in places but still flies. The 75 is also easier to find and at the age all A2's now are condition is everything.

Yes
The Special Edition WAS the "run out" model. But unlike many it did not have lots of extras included.

i think it was more or less a base model with Climate Control included.

Yes the SE spec was still available.
My wife"s A2 is a fully soecced (almost) 2004 model with slatted grill.
So you could definitely spec the SE options.

steve B

Keep your eyes peeled :)

Hi,
We have a tdi 90 (un-mapped) its plenty rapid, very punchy! and refuses to dip below 57mpg (I reset ave mpg 1st of the month) I can fit in two mountain bikes side by side with fr wheels and seats removed, and this is with just folding not removing the bench seat.
Be nice to see another A2 in sheff, were just in the process of moving from Donny to Totley. (Blue un-badged slatted grill 53plate if you spot us)!!!

I'm over Dronfield Woodhouse way - met blue 90, vortex :)

Richardu, iv never seen a vortex kitted A2 so will deffo notice you! Did you say on a previous thread that you used a good local garage? as were new it would be nice to get some local info. Regards Lee.

This thread make me wonder at the spec of our car 53, tdi90, bench seat(full 3rd belt), slatted grille, climate, concert and multi computer/display thingie?! mind don't care really I love it, bought as a pure work car Sheff to Donny airport, but its taken over the 1st car role as everyone loves it and you cant help but cherish them! 1st (now 2nd car) for sale at min to buy be a work horse ****ter! (will prob's be an older higher miles tdi75)

Hello All, thanks for the very arm welcome. I never looked at that car as the seller was away, viewing it in the morning all being well. Fingers crossed.

All this talk of options.. What was standard and options across the range? Any ideas? Whats desirable? Can cruise control be retro fitted (I did it myself to my TT so hoping it's the same with these).

Hi,

Not far from me, just up Ecclesall Road South near the Toby Carvery. That's good to hear that bikes can easily fit, it was one of my main concerns. I know some good routes in the area, A2 and MTB buddies!!? Yaaaaay!

Best of luck with your search MrP! :p

The A2 and mountain bikes go together very well indeed. I once had 3 complete mountain bikes (a 29er and 2 26er's) in the boot along with three people in the car. A squeeze, yes, but not uncomfortable.

Matt. :)

All this talk of options.. What was standard and options across the range? Any ideas? Whats desirable? Can cruise control be retro fitted (I did it myself to my TT so hoping it's the same with these).

Take a look in the brochures for standard specs and options - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?60-Brochures

Cruise control can be retrofitted and if you want an easy life, have the work done by A2 Cars or timmus, depending on how far you want to travel

Cheers Spike

MrP, Once, settled in Its very much my intention to head out on bikes. Its one of the main reasons for the Move from Doncaster, I love the hills (the roads in Sheff on sport suspension is another matter!! (more like Deli than Dore!!) its quite perverse the amount of hills and the biking enthusiasm! The guy I bought some pepperpot alloys from last year was from Walkley? and gave up his a2 (and cars!) to cycle every working day to Rothers!?!
I feel a sub branch of this forum evolving A2wheelers??
Cheers Lee

Best of luck with your search MrP! :p

The A2 and mountain bikes go together very well indeed. I once had 3 complete mountain bikes (a 29er and 2 26er's) in the boot along with three people in the car. A squeeze, yes, but not uncomfortable.

Matt. :)

That's good to hear! At least I know it can be done. Is that a 4 or 5 seater?

Take a look in the brochures for standard specs and options - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?60-Brochures

Cruise control can be retrofitted and if you want an easy life, have the work done by A2 Cars or timmus, depending on how far you want to travel

Cheers Spike

Thanks, i'll take a look. I've noticed a lot of the specs on these cars were options. I'd want DIS, Cruise, climate and an armrest as a must, whether thats on the car or I retrofit. Anything else sought after I may want?

MrP, Once, settled in Its very much my intention to head out on bikes. Its one of the main reasons for the Move from Doncaster, I love the hills (the roads in Sheff on sport suspension is another matter!! (more like Deli than Dore!!) its quite perverse the amount of hills and the biking enthusiasm! The guy I bought some pepperpot alloys from last year was from Walkley? and gave up his a2 (and cars!) to cycle every working day to Rothers!?!
I feel a sub branch of this forum evolving A2wheelers??
Cheers Lee

Sounds like a plan! I went out in Newcastle at the weekend and smashed into a tree at 20mph, feeling a little sore but no broken bones so i'll be back out in a few weeks more than likely!

It sounds like you need a 4 seater. If you have the 5 seater you can only have two prople in the car with theback seat folded.
With a 4 seater yiu csn fild ine seat down to get the bikes in abd you still havr one rear seat fir the third person in the car

Steve B

I usually put my bike on the roof rack with a bike carrier - have successfully carried 3 bikes on the roof and then had the three cyclists in the car no problem.
I've also put my road bike in the back with the seat down when it was just me; no bike disassembly required!
I was up in Sheffield for a cycling trip back at Easter time, and this Summer I shall be doing the Hathersage Hilly triathlon - the route goes up the Froggatt Pass :)

PS, to your list of specs.

Climate can not be retrofitted so if that's on your must have list then look only for those with a digital climate control panel (rotary analogue controls are not air-con systems what ever the listings may say). All cars with OpenSky, and/or double-DIN dash have digital climate control.
Arm rest was never available from the factory, but aftermarket ones have been fitted by several members.
Full DIS was fitted as standard on all "Sport" spec cars, but was only an upgrade option on SE spec cars. It can be retrofitted provided you can source a working, compatible dash, but they're rare and it's not straightforward.

It sounds like you need a 4 seater. If you have the 5 seater you can only have two prople in the car with theback seat folded.
With a 4 seater yiu csn fild ine seat down to get the bikes in abd you still havr one rear seat fir the third person in the car

Steve B

That was my initial thoughts, 4 seater!

That way I can still have a bigger boot by removing one of the rears seats and still fit 3.

I usually put my bike on the roof rack with a bike carrier - have successfully carried 3 bikes on the roof and then had the three cyclists in the car no problem.
I've also put my road bike in the back with the seat down when it was just me; no bike disassembly required!
I was up in Sheffield for a cycling trip back at Easter time, and this Summer I shall be doing the Hathersage Hilly triathlon - the route goes up the Froggatt Pass :)

I have also been looking at roof racks. The OE kit is relatively cheap (all things considered) so at least I have my options open to me.

PS, to your list of specs.

Climate can not be retrofitted so if that's on your must have list then look only for those with a digital climate control panel (rotary analogue controls are not air-con systems what ever the listings may say). All cars with OpenSky, and/or double-DIN dash have digital climate control.
Arm rest was never available from the factory, but aftermarket ones have been fitted by several members.
Full DIS was fitted as standard on all "Sport" spec cars, but was only an upgrade option on SE spec cars. It can be retrofitted provided you can source a working, compatible dash, but they're rare and it's not straightforward.

Right,

So climate is a must, the rest can be retro fitted. That's good to know. Any idea on the armrest and where to buy it from? I had a hire car this weekend with one and I loved it, so much so I don't know how I could live without one now.

I got my roof rack from Ebay, they do come up from time to time. Technically speaking, they say you shouldn't use the roof rack if you have a car with OpenSky - this is due to the chance of damaging the glass in the event of trying to open the sunroof when you have the roof rack attached... However, I have OpenSky and use the roof rack regularly. You take your chances!

Just to re-iterate, retrofitting DIS is doable but not straightforward, and getting the correct cluster to match the particular model variant you may end up with takes a lot of searching and patience. Took me a year to find the right one to fit to my car. I don't think many people have done the DIS retrofit on this forum, maybe fewer than 10 all told.

I got my roof rack from Ebay, they do come up from time to time. Technically speaking, they say you shouldn't use the roof rack if you have a car with OpenSky - this is due to the chance of damaging the glass in the event of trying to open the sunroof when you have the roof rack attached... However, I have OpenSky and use the roof rack regularly. You take your chances!

Just to re-iterate, retrofitting DIS is doable but not straightforward, and getting the correct cluster to match the particular model variant you may end up with takes a lot of searching and patience. Took me a year to find the right one to fit to my car. I don't think many people have done the DIS retrofit on this forum, maybe fewer than 10 all told.

I'll keep my eye out on the roof racks then.

I'm no stranger to waiting months/years for that illusive part, I've had a fair few old VW's in my time. As long as it can be done is all that matters. Thanks for your help so far :)

Back