Potential Supermarket Diesel Problem Caused...

Davos1983

Had my 2003 1.4TDI 75bhp for about 15 months now with no problems at all. Just ticked over 82k and all is fine. However, at the weekend I encountered a problem which I can only attribute to one cause.

I normally buy diesel from Shell - not only is it the cheapest in my area, it is also the closest! However, the other day I got caught short and filled up at a supermarket filling station. All was fine until the fuel light came on. The next day, when I was off out to fill it up, I started the car and the engine seemed very lumpy with lots of smoke coming out the exhaust - definitely more than usual anyway. This bad running continued for at least 5 minutes whilst driving the car, but once warmed up it seems to be fine.

I have today driven 300 miles in the car (150mile return trip) and the same problem occurred when starting it. On my way, I stopped by Halfords and bought some redex diesel treatment which currently (touch wood) seems to have sorted the problem - ill try again in the morning once the engine has cooled right down to see how it feels.

So what could it be? As said before, there were more fumes than usual and a strong smell of diesel suggesting it wasnt being combusted properly. Similarly, the starter motor seemed to have very little power and then ran very lumpy until warm. Could the supermarket fuel have had a load of crap in it which got sucked into the fuel system and on to the cylinders and thus effecting the glowplugs? I had wondered if my alternator was on its way out but the battery is showing 12.6 volts and runs fine normally so have effectively ruled this out.

The only thing i can liken it to is when the engine is started before waiting for the glow plug pre-heating light to switch off.

Either way - this redex stuff seems good. I hope it helps the problem!

All thoughts welcome,

Dave

Sounds like a glowplug problem to me. That it occurred after using a tankful of supermarket fuel is almost certainly just a coincidence.

Whilst logic tells me that you are probably right Mr K, I can't help but feel there is something in Davos' story:

I too mainly use Shell, but the other day, I had no choice but to use Tesco and today, the car was quite lumpy, especially under load whist going up hill in 4th. Starting is fine, but performance has become slightly less sprightly.

I know that the fuels are probably 99% the same, but there is a lot to be said for getting a branded fuel, as opposed to a supermarket own brand (Pespsi or Coke is pretty much the same as Asda or Tesco cola, even down to the ingredient list, but we all know it doesn't taste the same).

Cheers,

Mike

As I understand it there may be subtle differences to the additive packages added by the various vendors, but the basic fuel is essentially identical.

We've had at least one diesel car since 2001 and filled them up with either Shell, Esso, Tesco, Sainsbury's or ASDA fuel (and supermarket fuel wherever convenient on the continent), just as millions of other drivers do, without incident! We've never had a glowplug fail or had any rough running as far as I remember.

However, things can go wrong, diesel can get contaminated with water, petrol, etc. There was that Tesco fuel fiaso a while back...

This one looks like the classic symptoms of glowplug failure. If that turns out to be the case, could bad fuel have caused it? There were no symptoms until the tank was emptied, so probably not, but you never know.

Cheers for the replies!

I had held back on naming the SUpermarket but as Skipton has already mentioned them i shall too! It was from Tesco.

I started the car again this morning to drive my usual 50 miles to work and it started first time, no smoke and much smoother than before. The performance is now the same as it always has been, indicating that the glowplugs are working as they should be - i can therefore only assume that it was the Tesco fuel that did this and that the Redex fixed it!

Out of interest Skipton - when did you buy the fuel in question? I think i bought mine on the weekend 18/19th April?

Dave

I have to say I too think it a coincidence and reckon its a simple glow plug failure. As to supermarket fuel I have run my last 3 cars almost exclusively on Tesco or Sainsburys fuel for the last 9 years and I dont believe any of the arguements against them to be backed by enough evidence. In fact as far as petrol is concerned Tesco 99 is the real deal. On a rolling road that gave my S2 an extra 15bhp... I do also have a bottle of Millers diesel additive which I use occasionally just because I like to do so. You pay your money and make your choice...

Appreciating the help here. Out of interest though, how could it be a glowplug failure when they are now operating perfectly as before? I am noticing no reduction in performance at all now which i was when i started the car up with the dodgy fuel? Surely if it was a glowplug issue i would still be seeing the problem now?

As one of the more experienced diesel car owners and drivers on this forum ( 22 years, 400,000+ miles, 30 cars) I agree with Mike. Logic suggests it is not fuel related, however knowing a little of how supermarkets deal with their suppliers and I imagine their fuel suppliers are probably no differently abused, sorry 'treated' to farmers and architects, in my experience it is better to use mainstream brands. If the problem persists then perhaps the glow plugs are getting tired.

Davos, I got my fuel on the 20th April, but as I used a garage in Oldham, about 200 miles away from you, I don't think there will be a connection.

I agree with the views of Dan and Mr K - it must be coincidence (but I still have a little niggle that says it's not!), but you're right - it can't be glow plug failure, as they're now working fine.

I'll be sticking with Shell from now on, with a little drop of Millers from time to time.

Cheers,

Mike

Back