Power Discs and ceramic pads

Sootywg

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
I had Power discs with ceramic pads fitted 2 years ago. They were a vast improvement on the aging oem set up I had. The braking performance was excellent, very progressive with no fade plus the added benefit of virtualy no brake dust on the wheels..
Two years on they still look great and very little apparant pad wear (only done 10k in the 2 years).
However I had an advisory on the MOT of corrosion on the inboard side of the discs. Indeed a significant amount of corrosion. It still passed the MOT but I will have to replace within the next few months.

Does anyone have experience of these discs and is this normal? 10k is not a lot, perhaps it is the low useage and moisture gathering but why only the inside face, the external looks perfect?

A decision as to what to replace them with next!

Geoff

Just out of interest Geoff.... are your splashguards still in place at the back of the discs ?. Ive known them rust and fall off but I don,t know if they make a difference ? .

Last edited:
That symptom indicates a non operating calliper piston on that side.

Both sides of the disc should be extremely similar when it comes to wear, rust and pad depth etc.

If the outer face is not showing rust but the inner face is. Then the inner piston is almost certainly seized or it would be wiping away the rust when you brake.

i would get that looked at ASAP or the next thing will be a warped disc vibration through the pedal and refuced bralking. steve B

That symptom indicates a non operating calliper piston on that side.

Both sides of the disc should be extremely similar when it comes to wear, rust and pad depth etc.

If the outer face is not showing rust but the inner face is. Then the inner piston is almost certainly seized or it would be wiping away the rust when you brake.

i would get that looked at ASAP or the next thing will be a warped disc vibration through the pedal and refuced bralking. steve B

That would be my take on the situation.

Don't forget guys that A2 brakes are the 'sliding caliper' type and only have one piston.

Cheers Spike

Don't forget guys that A2 brakes are the 'sliding caliper' type and only have one piston.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike.

Good point.

The logic still applies though thankfully. Only instead of a dodgy piston it is likely to be a stuck slider.

Steve B

Seized caliper sliding bolts will lead to premature wear on rotor as mentioned. I use Lockheed red grease to lube. Also check the caliper piston. If the dust boot is worn, water gets in and corrosion starts leading to sticky piston. Bigg Red sell caliper overhaul kits.

I bought used calipers from an scrapped Audi A1 with only 1 280 miles on the meter : 1K0615123D and 1K0615124D. Same part number and A2.

Looks like new!

Back