Power steering failure

Yesterday at Horwich. Called the RAC, they turned up promptly, and got towed down to WOM Automotive. Many thanks due there as Rob sorted me out with a courtesy car at very short notice. Waiting to hear what's failed and will let you all know.
Saw another A2 at Horwich as we got under way with the tow, just by the large Tesco (diesel price there 119.9p). Anyone here?
Surprising how heavy the steering is at low speed without it.

Was mentioned on here the wiring loom can rub where its routed on the n/s inner strut top, check for a blown fuse first but the wiring here could be the culprit (i have placed some rubber hose around loom here)

Could be somrthing as simple as low fluid. There is a certain garage nearby who did a service on the tdi and the notes said "steering heavy- suggest new powersteering pump £xxxx"
On looking at the bill the "Check all undbonnet fluids" box had been ticked as completed.
When I checked the reservoir the fluid level was low and the cap clearly had not be disturbed for a long time.
The subsequent exchange of emails was intresting.

Was mentioned on here the wiring loom can rub where its routed on the n/s inner strut top, check for a blown fuse first but the wiring here could be the culprit (i have placed some rubber hose around loom here)
Not the fuse, the RAC man checked it.

There are two fuses - the big 80A one in the floor that powers the pump, and the one that the steering controller is powered by ; either can stop the steering assistance from working. My car's steering was burning out the fuse 38 powering the steering controller, turned out to be a knackered a/c G65 pressure sensor (with an internal short) behind the front bumper that when unplugged allowed 38 to be replaced & restoration of steering assistance.

Back