Power steering fault light

welshguy

I was driving to work today and the auto check system beeped once at me to say there was a fault in the power steering... i have noticed the steering sometimes going heavy when doing parallel parks etc but nothing else until this...

I stopped and turned off the engine and started it again and the light/beep didn't return and it didn't on the way home from work either.

I haven't checked the fluid level for the power steering yet as it was dark and raining when i got home, will do that tomorrow, but has anyone ever encountered a problem/fault with the power steering?? I've got a 1.4 petrol.

cheers guys

Hi mate I also have the 1.4 petrol, and have the same issue, waiting for the weather to get better before I dive in.

Vag com will proberbly show up as something like:

01760 - Power Steering Control Module (J500) No comm. with Engine Control Module (ECM)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

Will be looking into it as can be bloody dangerous because it gets you at the least expected moment (turning a corner or the like, is like turning a petrol tanker without power steering).

This seems even more heavier on the recent change to 17" RS4 wheels than the original wheels.

The symbol is a yellow steering wheel with an exclamation mark next to it while it bleeps.

I HAVE checked the wiring at the spot where Mike had his issue but it seems the petrol version may have a wiring issue elsewhere.

Will get it sorted soon, as it's critical, and I have revoked the privilage for the Mrs to be driving it at moment. Can't see her fighting the steering to avoid an accident. (not to mention me being dragged out to the shopping trips :eek: so sooner fixed the better ;))

Did anyone see Watchdog this week? some BMW Mini's got same issue with similar system, but they seem to think it's their pump.

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty certain that this is a wiring issue, possibly not in the same area as I had problems, but I know of only 2 pump replacements in UK A2s on the last 8 years (excluding accident damage).

All the wiring is the same, regardless of fuelling, and it runs from the bottom if the A pillar on thx passenger side, up behind the dash and through the bulkhead into the engine bay.

Cheers

Mike

Hi mate I also have the 1.4 petrol, and have the same issue, waiting for the weather to get better before I dive in.

Vag com will proberbly show up as something like:

01760 - Power Steering Control Module (J500) No comm. with Engine Control Module (ECM)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

Will be looking into it as can be bloody dangerous because it gets you at the least expected moment (turning a corner or the like, is like turning a petrol tanker without power steering).

This seems even more heavier on the recent change to 17" RS4 wheels than the original wheels.

The symbol is a yellow steering wheel with an exclamation mark next to it while it bleeps.

I HAVE checked the wiring at the spot where Mike had his issue but it seems the petrol version may have a wiring issue elsewhere.

Will get it sorted soon, as it's critical, and I have revoked the privilage for the Mrs to be driving it at moment. Can't see her fighting the steering to avoid an accident. (not to mention me being dragged out to the shopping trips :eek: so sooner fixed the better ;))

Did anyone see Watchdog this week? some BMW Mini's got same issue with similar system, but they seem to think it's their pump.

SARGE

Same problem here!
1.4 petrol
I notice that the issue come when the weather is rainy or cold.
Not During summer!
I hear the pump running and stopping continuously then the dash light flashes (caused by the continuous absorption of energy) after the pump stops and the yellow steering wheel with an exclamation mark appears!
After that the steering is heavy (probably it's a condition of the central unit that turn off the pump for this intermittent signal)
:confused:

The steering on my car is doing the same BUT i am not getting any symbols of any kind seem to be really bad when going to full lock and when braking for and steering round tight corners at the same time.
Ive checked all fuses they seem fine plus with the car stationary when turning the wheel there is a lot of resistance before the steering wheel starts to move(i know your not meant to do this but this way i know theres somat wrong)
Thanks for and help and advice you can give.

A diagnostic is the first step David, and a full inspection of all the wiring in the engine bay (especially on the nearside).

Take it from there and see what you find.

Cheers,

Mike

I have same problem on my 2002 tdi, snap on scanner is showing a fault on the steering angle sensor. Just need to find where it is located now and replace ! hope this helps....

A diagnostic is the first step David, and a full inspection of all the wiring in the engine bay (especially on the nearside).

Take it from there and see what you find.

Cheers,

Mike

If you want to pop over here David, I'm a heck of a lot cheaper than Audi! I also know where my steering problems stemmed from, so can check this too.

Cheers,

Mike

Just a thougt guys, my VCDS pointed to a faulty steering positional sensor but a re calibration was all that was required.

I must admit, had been messing around with changing the steering wheel but it was giving the same symtoms with the steering going stiff.

Best of luck Malcolm

I must admit, had been messing around with changing the steering wheel but it was giving the same symtoms with the steering going stiff.

Do you mean that there was a correlation between adjusting the steering wheel height and getting this error? I wonder because I've only seen it since I did that.

did anyone sort this problem out? and what was the solution?

Been really busy so not had the time...it's getting annoying now, but not happening that often.

Cheers

did anyone sort this problem out? and what was the solution?

Been really busy so not had the time...it's getting annoying now, but not happening that often.

It hasn't been sorted out yet, and is still happening occasionally. The chap who was kind enough to use his software to interrogate the on-board computer found that the error it had stored referred to a faulty power steering sensor.
Eventually I will get the time to book an appointment to get it fixed.

I seem to have developed the same issue today...the steering stiffening up and the warning beeps coming on, and then you can hear the pump running or at least trying to run. Turn off and then on again clears the fault but then just a little down the road it all happens again...

Anyway i had a look at the fluid levels as best as i could and it does look low from what i can see. Bought a Torx screwdriver to remove headlight and then get to top up the bottle but no chance of finding some audi/vw power steering fluid on a saturday afternoon! Halfords don't sell anything suitable as far as i could tell.

Will try to get hold of some on Monday but my question is can i drive the car in the meantime? Will it damage the power steering pump?

Am due a service now so while the car is in will ask them to check for fluid leaks etc seeing as the level looks so low.

Thanks

David

My problem was a power steering fluid leak that my brother in law diagnosed and a top up of fluid sorted till i replaced the steering rack boot.

My problem was a power steering fluid leak that my brother in law diagnosed and a top up of fluid sorted till i replaced the steering rack boot.

Thanks David.... am going to get hold of some power steering fluid tomorrow if i can and top up, then i'll get any leaks checked out. My only problem is i need to use the car tomorrow, not least to get hold of some fluid!

Cheers

David

In answer to your question of damage to the pump, no, you'll be OK to use the car with the power steering out of use - I did last year for a few weeks with no adverse effects.

You do realise that there is a dipstick built into the cap of the fluid reservoir? If you're parked on level ground and take off the green cap, you can wipe the little prong on the inside, then screw it back on again, then remove it and check the level is up to the indentation on the prong.

If not, then top up with Audi steering fluid (Halfords do actually sell a compatible fluid, but it's the same price as the genuine stuff, which your dealer will have on the shelf, around £9 a litre) and then see how you go on.

I've come across a few reports of leaking racks recently, so it's not unheard of and fortunately, it's not a massively expensive job either - Robin at Stealth Racing changed his rack in less than an hour, single handed!!

Cheers,

Mike

In answer to your question of damage to the pump, no, you'll be OK to use the car with the power steering out of use - I did last year for a few weeks with no adverse effects.

You do realise that there is a dipstick built into the cap of the fluid reservoir? If you're parked on level ground and take off the green cap, you can wipe the little prong on the inside, then screw it back on again, then remove it and check the level is up to the indentation on the prong.

If not, then top up with Audi steering fluid (Halfords do actually sell a compatible fluid, but it's the same price as the genuine stuff, which your dealer will have on the shelf, around £9 a litre) and then see how you go on.

I've come across a few reports of leaking racks recently, so it's not unheard of and fortunately, it's not a massively expensive job either - Robin at Stealth Racing changed his rack in less than an hour, single handed!!

Cheers,

Mike

That's re-assuring to know then, am planning to stop off at the garage on route to work. The nearest is a Skoda garage, now i'm assuming it is the same power steering fluid they would use in audi's and vw's etc??

I haven't actually got around to getting the headlight off and checking the level so no i hadn't realised about the dipstick! It just looks low from a brief visual check...

That's a pain about Halfords...their 'guide' thing, those things on a ringbinder type affair, seemed to indicate they didn't sell anything compatible, and i checked for VW too.

Thanks v much for the replies though, very helpful as ever.

Cheers

David

ive just got my car full serviced today. few hours later on my way home, the steering light signal came up and my steering was light, then stiff then light etc.

usally a-bit stiff but i manage to work with it :p

going to call the garage tommorow and see whats up? never had it before the service :S

any solutions?

Back