Power steering grief

Mog

I've got an 01 plate 1.4 petrol (yes the bog standard one!) still loving the style, not so much the bouncing wiper and steaming up anytime theres any damp in the air, however, my main problem is an intermittant fault with the power steering. Being intermittant i feel it may be electrical, the steering is sometimes stupidly heavy, so ur battling with no power to the steering and against all the hydraulic fluid too, it cuts in and out whilst driving (occasionally u get the steering warning light, but mostly not) this affects the llights which flicker as the power to the steering cuts in n out. When initially started sometimes i have to turn the wheel to full lock both ways to get the power to the pump/motor. This makes a whirring and kind of popping noise, I can actually hear it cutting in n out. Any suggestions anyone, I believe a replacement steering motor is silly money and dont want to be fleeced by any dodgy garage so want to go armed with info. Thanx all, Mog

I've had this and it took my local Audi dealer over a month to solve the problem.

In my case, it boiled down to damp or moisture in the connector on top of the combined pump/reservoir.

The loom was replaced and so was the fuse (I won't go into the saga here - if interested, do a search for the full story) and now, a year on, no recurrence of the fault.

Take a look at the wirinf yourself first - it'll mean removing the nearside headlamp, but apart from that, it'll be cheaper if you're no longer covered by a warranty.

Cheers.

Mike

Back