power steering

audimad23

hi i have got an audi a2 1.4 and i have noticed that the steering has started to go heavy and light on occasions i have checked the power steering fluid and it is full sometimes the warning light on the dash comes on it is a steering wheel in orange but when you turn the engine off and back on the light goes off any ideas on what this can be thanks

If the reservoir is full, then there are no leaks anywhere, so I would firstly check the wiring to the power steering pump and if that checks out OK, then maybe suspect the pump itself.

Hi audimad, welcome to the A2oc.
It would also be worth having a diagnostic scan. We have a few members dotted around the counry with VagCom who may be able to help if you let us know your approx location

Cheers Spike

Hi
I have the same problem.The orange symbol with the steering weel went on and off a few time and now its on permanently,and the steering weel is stiff.I have power coming to the pump but it doesn't work.The level fluid is also OK. I've had it scaned and the guy who's done it said it has no errors but he can not "see" the pump.He also said the solution is a new pump.
Can you guys tell me if there's anything else that I could check, or the only answer is a new(expensive)pump.
Can it be repaired?and how long can I drive the car with power steering off?
Thankyou!

hi guys,
Can anyone tell me if the strength of the battery is related to power steering failure?
The battery went dead after 2 days without starting the car. I've recharged it and for now everything (without the power steering) seems ok.
What do you think:should I buy a new baterry first or a new power steering pump?

Back