Problem or not?

Right. Not too sure if I have a problem or not, but hopefully someone can give a little insight to put my mind at rest (or not). I have had my car for nearly 4 weeks now, and absolutely love it. It has taken me a little getting used to having come from a 1.4 litre Renault Clio (I know, I know) to my 1.4 Tdi A2, but I have got the hang of it now I think. There is one thing however, that is kind of bugging me and I don't know if it has a problem or not.
When setting off in first, if I just raise the clutch pedal and use the idle revs to move the car forward (ie not using any accelerator pedal) the car kind of wobbles (almost feels like bouncing), so much so that the passenger seat shakes, and a kind of tinny sounding rattle can be heard from the drivers side dash/rear of engine bay. I have checked the bonnet catches and applied tape as advised on the forums, and I don't think it is anything to do with the clutch (gear changes seem ok). If I give it a bit of gas, it is better but can still be felt unless I give it more gas than I think should be necessary. The tinny rattle can be heard at all times when driving. Does it sound like normal behaviour or could something be wrong with engine mounts etc?? I love driving it and this is the only thing taking the shine of driving it for me :(

To me I think it is just normal diesel rattle. Is this your first diesel? If it is (diesel rattle) it will not be as bad once warmed up but will always be present.Also the wobble is prob too few revs causing 3 cylinder 'warble' ie out of balance. Its the reason why after many years with diesels I have ended up back in a petrol, (but now missing diesel economy) Can I suggest you get someone used to diesels to have a go in yours or appeal to a fellow member near to you for a ride in theirs or maybe try one at a carsales (check on autotrader put in 20miles by postcode) Hope this is all it is. Cheers Colin

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Colin. I do have a Honda diesel which is much smoother, but then it is a much bigger engine. I have only noticed a movement in the engine on the Honda when starting up or switching off the engine. It does seem a lot more pronounced on the A2. It sounds like from what you are saying it is normal for the A2 diesel to wobble at low revs, but your advice to check against another makes sense. My A2 will be due a service in a few months, which hopefully I will be in touch with Mike Hill about, so may draw on his wealth of knowledge, and hopefully he can put my mind at rest.
Thanks
Mick

Any info/pics on how I check them? I am no expert on cars (certainly not in the same league as you guys on here) but something just doesn't feel right. I have been driving for 23 years now and this is a new experience to me. It is more prominent when in standing traffic (which makes up a fair chunk of my journey to work) and it is accompanied with the rattling from the dash/engine bay? To minimise the shake I have to give it more revs than I have in any other car I have driven (both petrol and diesel and both my cars and families/friends/colleagues)
Cheers
Mick

Forgot to mention, it is also noticeable in reverse. Probably manifests itself worse when going backwards?? Just been out at dinner and realised when I reversed into the parking space.

Sounds like something is not quite right. Prob why the previous owner gave up on it. Did you get it from a dealer ? if yes take it back and say you are not happy. If no get someone nearby to take a look (Skipton maybe) Remember anything can be fixed (eventually) Im still hoping to cure mine. (still waiting for the vac pipe but suspect it wont make any difference) Cheers Colin.

The car is known to some of the guys on the forum, and believe me, the reason the previous owner had to sell was nothing to do with problems with the car. In different circumstances, he would never have sold it.
I took the car to have its wheels balanced and aligned, and it has made a difference already. Could something like the tracking/balancing/alignment of wheels have such a pronounce effect at such low speeds?
I haven't yet driven the car in the morning crawl since, but will do on Monday, and report back.
Fingers crossed!

I hope this is a simple thing. John lavished a great deal of love on this A2 and I'm sure anything that was needed would be sorted straight away. That said, the car is a few years old and has a fair mileage IIRC so things do wear out - even on an Audi A2!! :)Look forward to hearing how you get on with this.

Just an update on this. The car now seems a lot easier to drive since the re-balance/alignment was carried out. It still wobbles a little but if it had been like this since I took ownership, I never would have thought anything had been wrong.
The difference is remarkable. I always thought that wheel alignment/balancing issue only manifested themselves at higher speeds. The only problem I had once moving was a slight steering wheel vibration at around 70-75mph. I guess you can still learn something new, no matter how old you are.
Cheers
Mick

Back