Problem with my A2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Methenyman

Hi all...only just joined, this is my first post.

I've only just got my pre-owned A2 1.4 petrol on thurs 5-2-04. I've got warranty on it but have found a really disturbing fault that's causing concern :(
When the brakes are applied when the steering is in a position other that straight ahead (ie just before a roundabout)(does that make sense?) there is a disconcerting CLUNK! It's quite loud and is felt through the floor via my feet[13][13]
What's worse is that it's intermittent.
Can anyone out there hazard a guess as to what the problem may be?

Thanks all

Mark

How many miles on the car & how old?

Not had the problem myself but I'll throw a couple of known problems around.
Worn suspension bushes?
Known driveshat fault? (Mostly erradicated by 2002/2003 builds)

Other than this Clunk, are there any other symptoms which are rearing their head?

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Hmm... faulty ABS? It's the closest thing I can think of to an 'intermittent clunk'
huh.gif
Very puzzling

Hi Rob
Registered October 2001 . It's done 23000 miles. When we first picked the car up the there was a shuddering transmitted through to the steering (like the unbalanced wheel effect) when braking. I put this down to the slight rusting on the front discs from the car being stood unused for a couple of weeks. The shudder has now gone but has beed replaced by a feeling and sound that you get when the pads have worn down to the metal. Only they havn't; there's about 6mm of friction material left ! Someone in the pub last night said that they could have glazed ? Are they rendered useless if it is this ? The pads are NOT contacting the discs across the full radius the're supposed to...after 160 miles the discs are still rusted toward the edge. Actual braking performance seems fine !!
Thanks again all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back