Problem with the key fob?

Stan2stan2

A2OC Donor
Evening, another problem with my Car, I went to drive the car today,unlocked it as usual with the key fob, the doors opened and I got in, placed the keys in the ignition and turned the key, all lights on the dash board came on as usual, but the car just wouldn't start. Dead. But plenty of life in the battery.

Just brought it back from A2 Cars.....

Is there a specific sequence of events that I need to follow to reprogram the key.

Regards

James,,

Hi as the key unlocked the car via "blip" the key is still active with the car. When you say won't start does that mean 1 it turns over but fails to fire or 2 engine fails to turn over. ? If it's 2 then with our cars all getting quite old now the front earthing point is prone to corrosion and erosion. It is easy to get at if you remove the passenger side headlamp (RHD). You will see it attaches to the chassis leg of the body shell. Remove and clean up with a wire brush sand paper etc and re fit with copper grease. This problem could also be a dead starter motor as my wife's one just stopped working.
Hope you get it sorted soon. Cheers Mike.

Yes
Mikegas summed it up nicely (or should that be sumoed it up nicely)

if if the engine won't even spin then it is not related to the key programming in any way. Even with an impaired immobiliser the engine would din and start but then immediately cut out and the key symbol would be flashing.
My wife's A2 had exactly the same symptoms as you describe. It was a failed starter motor. But as Mike just said it it well worth checking the earth connection hidden away (removing the passenger headlamp helps get to it).

Steve B

Okay thanks I'll have a look at the connection on Monday, the starter motor is a different matter. How difficult is it to get to and get off. I've done them alternators before, but a starter motor is a different kettle of fish.

All electrics are on and as soon as I turn the key there is nothing from the engine..

The starter motor is quite easy once working from good safe ramps or a well lifted and axle stand supported high enough to remove the under tray. One other point to check is the battery terminals are clean and secure. Also check connection on the end of the starter motor. Cheers Mike

Okay thanks I'll have a look at the connection on Monday, the starter motor is a different matter. How difficult is it to get to and get off. I've done them alternators before, but a starter motor is a different kettle of fish.

All electrics are on and as soon as I turn the key there is nothing from the engine..

Is there any noise at all when you turn the key, or do the lights on the dash flicker even in a small way when you turn the key?

There is one last "free" check to make.

Turn the ignition off, put the car in a high gear (4th or 5th) take the handbrake off and get someone to just rock the car a little forward and backward, enough to try to turn the engine.

You are not trying to start it, you are just trying to spin it to free a possible jammed solenoid.

Then if the engine has turned a tiny bit, put the handbrake and ignition on, car in neutral and try again.

Clutching at Straws but worth a try.

Steve B

Yes I have two goods axle stands after the last time I changed the brakes pads and discs.

I'll try to get it on the stands tomorrow afternoon to have a quick look. Would the starter motor be easy to see? Checking the connections first of course, another question while I have your attention. How much would a recon starter motor start at?

Regards

James

Yes I have two goods axle stands after the last time I changed the brakes pads and discs.

I'll try to get it on the stands tomorrow afternoon to have a quick look. Would the starter motor be easy to see? Checking the connections first of course, another question while I have your attention. How much would a recon starter motor start at?

Regards

James

Hi,

From in the region of £50 will get you a remanufactured one, but it is best to buy the best you can.

There is a cheap "new" one on eBay at the moment
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A2-1...ts=Car+Make:Audi|Model:A2&hash=item5649ed500a

Steve B

Back