Problems with CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

psampson

Me and my other half both have A2s. Mine is a March 2001 reg model, hers is a March 2002 reg model. We both run CC constantly all year round, as it doesn't seem to affect the MPG significantly, it clears the winows in the winter better and it avoids the problems associated with running the CC infrequently.

When set on LO, her car chucks out buckets of icy cold air, where as mine ranges from semi cool to cold. It seems that on days when the outside temperature is warm -> hot (18-20) (like recently) the CC works well. However, when the temperature is only moderately warm (12-14) the CC strugles to work. Do you think this is purely psychological?

When I had the car originally the CC didn't work. It was taken to the dealer a couple of times, during the winter time, to sort it out. They replaced some valves and re gassed the system. It seemed better, but not 100% compared to the other car. It was difficult to tell how well it worked when the weather wasn't that warm. It's just so difficult to articulate to the dealer that the CC works, but not very well sometimes. I get the feeling that replacing the CC could be a really big job that the dealer won't want to do without a clear cut problem.

Anyone had something similar? Any ideas on how to measure/compare the temperature?

Thanks,
Paul.

This may sound unlikely but have you throught that your is OK and The other halfs is duff and is over cooling?

Just a throught.

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey,
50% Brighter Bulbs : Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me) : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System - Nearly.
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk18.htm

Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid. I had an early build Freelander, which also had aircon. Needless to say, the aircon broke on it after 18 months. Another 'known' fault with the early models, of which I experienced a fair number in the three years I owned it. :(

We have had a replacement A2, after the first blew a turbo, twice. (OK, the bearings seized after the oil feeder pipe dropped off). This was a Sept 01 registered car. It seemed to have icy cool CC too.

My observation is that in warmish weather, the LO setting is just about adequate to cool the car. Switching between CC & ECON results in a barely detectable change of temperature. Plus, I do not seem to suffer from the effect of the windscreen misting slightly, then clearing on starting the car. This definitely happens in the other A2 and my old Landie.

In warm -> hot weather, a setting of 20-21 degrees is a comfortable temperature. Anything lower and it is too cold in the car (mine). In hers, you only use LO when the car has been sat in the sun and you want to cool it down ASAP.

What I don't want to happen is have the CC pack up after 3 years, leaving me with a whopping bill to pay, when Audi could fix the problem. Thanks to this group, they've had to fix a number of them, with varying degrees of success. [Lights, exhaust recirculation valve, front window guides, etc]

Cheers,
Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back