Proud but disheartened newish owner of an A2

Hillz

A2OC Donor
Bought mine about 4 months ago, as i fell in love with it. It was a cat d repair , ran like a dream until labout 12 days ago when the power steering suddenly went, managed to get it home... Gym is paying off . Following few days it was fine...then on way to work it happened again ...called Aa out who looked at it, soent about an hour n suggested it was the around the passenger front side (sorry i dont know technical terms). It worked for about 3 days then it went hard again butvthis time it wouldnt switch on, lights came on but , engine turned over but wouldnt catch. In a crazed fit dropped keys at mechanic... He was baffled tooknitvto get a diagnostic ... 5 days later (good job hes a mate...no charge). Hes baffled... I got told power steering is going or gone(300)... The ECU needs to be replace (£150) so that they can figure out what is really going on as its intermintent and at times the dash board instruments (rev counter) goes crazy.

So after this lengthy explantion.... I dont kno what to do or how to proceed , as A2 and the intermintent problem has them baffled, so ive registered and cone to the experts....Can someone help me as i dobt want to get rid of it....
Thanks

Stay with it... Paid £4k for ours with FULL Audi history, and that was the joke of 2015; have spent another 4K during the first year of ownership if only to get it how I want it and am content 'cos it's such a GREAT little car

There is no reason why the power steering pump will need to cost £300. With the age of our cars now I would consider fitting a used working unit. Try eBay or alternatively I have one here that is known to be working that you could have for £50.

Thank you... As im so new to this i will private message you with contact details, if thats ok

Thank you... As im so new to this i will private message you with contact details, if thats ok

The first thing to ask your mechanic is, was the power steering fluid level checked and topped up. He would need to have found the reserviour (a greenish plastic bottle under the bopnnet near the passenger front wheel tub. That is the first and cheapest possible cause.

Secondly you need to get the car scanned (using the specalist software and cable called VCDS) this will show error codes that indicate what is going wrong. The chances are that it is the steering angle sensor that has failed, but the scan would show this. WHereabouts in London are you? I live near Heathrow airport and if you are close I could pop over and scan your A2 for errors (no charge).
If it is the steering angle sensor, you can get hold of these secondhand at reasonable cost and some of our members may already have one you could buy (if that is the cause).

If it is none of the above then that would indicate a possible power steering pump fault, but that would be a very rare failure, it does not happen often on an A2.

Is your A2 a petrol or diesel? if petrol is it a 1.4 or 1,6 and of what year? (this helps identify the roight parts if any are necessary.)

Steve B

The power steering is topped up... As for the scanning codes... I have no idea, but will speak to the mechanic and see if hecwas given them. I live north west london, off the A406. That would be much appreciated if i have no luck, the car should be returned by tuesday...will be intouch.... Think im beginning to feel a bit better and hopeful. Thank you

The power steering is topped up... As for the scanning codes... I have no idea, but will speak to the mechanic and see if hecwas given them. I live north west london, off the A406. That would be much appreciated if i have no luck, the car should be returned by tuesday...will be intouch.... Think im beginning to feel a bit better and hopeful. Thank you

Yes, please don't be too disheartened, as you have probably discovered these cars are quite special in that they just seem to do everything well and they are not "money pits" (unless you are very unlucky and have bought a poorly maintained one).

We currently have 7 in our family, mine and my wife's, our two daughters, my Son and his wife and recently our Grandson.
We have owend A2s for 15 years and we have not yet had any breakdowns or any MOT failures (tempting fate there).
So they are generally very reliable and long lasting.

Steve B

Hi Hillz,

Before you start replacing parts, in addition to Spike's post about loom damage above, I'd recommend that you check the earth points on the car.

The one's that may cause your problems are the one behind the passenger headlight, the one in the passenger footwell on the A pillar behind the kick plate and the one in the driver's footwell on the A pillar. A search of the forum will reveal more about them; the passenger headlight earth is particular prone to failure.

As I'm sure many will agree, earthing faults can cause some very strange problems! :p

Thanks,

Matt.

Having stripped all the power stering today off my A2 id also suggest looking at the resivour aswell as it has 2 big wiring plugs that sit infront of the passengers front wheel behind the bumper and may need there connectors cleaning up too..

IMG_0976.JPG

- Gary

Back