Pulse ring replacement

Hi, a bit out of the ordinary I know but Audi have 'diagnosed' my non-starting fault to a damaged pulse ring. It has had a recon engine fitted, though it was running for a couple of months.

I am very sceptical and they want £1600 to remove the engine and replace it. As I understand it this ring sits on the end of the crank behind the flywheel. The sorry tale of my A2 has been posted before and Spike you have commented on the removal of the pulse ring previously on my post.

What I need is confirmation as to whether the pulse ring can be removed with the engine in situ by dropping the crank in some way or whether the engine definitely has to come out. If anyone can help, with details, that would be fab.

BTW I got advise here that the sump can be removed without removing the gearbox, that was news to my Audi dealer! I insisted that they tried it an loe and behold you were right. So well done for that, its something when others know more about the cars than Audi!

Hope you can help

Sorry to say I think the garage is right.
Ref the attached diagms, the pulse wheel (item 5) sits within the cyl block and looks too large to pull of the end of the crankshaft without first removing the crank. The front nose of the crank has a chain drive for the engine balancer shafts (plus the normal cambelt) so all this gear has to be stripped (plus the conrod and main bearing caps) before the crank can be dropped so its realistic to remove the engine for this work.
Did they indicate what is wrong with the pulse wheel ? If for example it has come loose but is undamaged, it may be possible to replace the special countersunk head screws by removing the gearbox, clutch, flywheel and rear crank seal carrier for access

Cheers Spike

Not sure which engine we are talking here, but the literature on the 1.6 seems to indicate you can replace it by removing, gbox, sump and fly wheel and then follow instructons for replacing the crankshaft oils seal. Engine out seems a little extreme.

I can believe it can get damaged!, how can that happen?

Not sure which engine we are talking here, but the literature on the 1.6 seems to indicate you can replace it by removing, gbox, sump and fly wheel and then follow instructons for replacing the crankshaft oils seal. Engine out seems a little extreme.

I can believe it can get damaged!, how can that happen?

Its a reconditioned TDi engine. Normally the pulse ring would last the life of the engine but its possible the clamping screws were either not renewed or undertorqued during the rebuild allowing it to come loose (all pure guesswork)
As you suggested, I'd be tempted to just remove the geqarbox and flywheel then see what acces like after the rear crank seal housing is unbolted. If you'r lucky, the job could be done without further dismantling. If not, then nothing has been lost and you then remove the engine

Cheers Spike

Back