Quiet knocking noise from front of car

Daviddac

Hi

Hope someone can help me please. I have an A2 thats done just over 60,000 miles.I have had it serviced and fettled recently, had the following done to the front suspension - new front springs, new dampers, new strut top bearings, new front bottom ball joints, new anti roll bar, and new drop links.From memory this noise was there before all this stuff was done, and it's still there now. I haven't had a wheel alignment / adjustment done yet, (the steering wheel is slightly off at the moment to keep the car driving straight) but plan to get that done soon. Has anyone got any ideas what this could be? I can feel it through the steering. Could it be the steering rack? or something else?.Isn't a massively loud banging, quite a dull noise, but it's there.

Thanks a lot for any help.Seriously appreciate it.I'm a bit stumped on what it could be.I like everything in good order on my car and just want it fixed.

Engine/gearbox mounts? Mine were effectively dead earlier this year, had two of them replaced and it improved knocking/vibration massively.

Thanks for that. I'm going to get it checked out at a garage, having had it wheel aligned and still with the problem, it's looking like a strange one to solve.The kind of clonking noise is very hard to trace.

Also just give the back corners of the bonnet a tap with a clenched fist.

A little play in there can cause a mystery clunk.

Steve B

Also just give the back corners of the bonnet a tap with a clenched fist.

A little play in there can cause a mystery clunk.

Steve B

My bonnet seating cups caused a rather annoying clunk/tap etc....my mechanic found it for me though.....I'd have dismantled the whole front end to try and find it otherwise.

I traced my knocking noise on my 2004 car to a worn aero / floppy wiper arm. The riveted joint at the 'elbow' / wiper blade end was very worn; lots of play.
New wiper arm: no noise!

Andrew

Thanks a lot for the replies, I'll get this added to the check list for the mystery knocking noise, hope it is one of these things rather than something else!.

Back