Radiator Fan not working .

war1ord

went 2 day to garage for ''pre'' mot check and during emission test suddenly temperature raised to 120 but fan did not start. After i while i took a car for a short ride , rev it a bit all seems ok temp 90 while driving .While driving a recon car getting cool by air itself . Went again to garage and same thing happen temp start to rise but not sign of radiator fan starting ??? Garage booked me for next tuesday for diagnostic to check it . I am bit worried what's going on with a car. other then that all tip top , drive home all sweet and sound . anyone experience same problem ??? what you think maybe faulty fan , fan control module fuse ??? . Kind a rookie with cars . Thanks.

Hi the possibilities for cause are numerous but lets work through them.

If your car has air con does the fan run all the time at a reduced speed? air con must be switched on.
If yes then the fan is good and the module if good.
If no then either the fan or the module is at fault. So time to get either a multi meter out and test the pins on the fan connection.

The other option is it could be the fan thermo switch that has failed--a vagcom scan will identify this if measuring the switches output.

Hope this helps cheers mike
ps try the fuse but i think its linked to another service so i would think its possible something else is not working.

You will probably find the terminals on the fan control module are a bit corroded. Gently remove the plug as the tabs are easy to break and clean them up. Being at the front of the car, water gets in there.

Back