Radiator fixation points for 1.4 AUA petrol engine - radiator assembly flapping

mtl

A2OC Donor
I have noticed that the radiator on my A2 is not fixed on the left side (looking from in front of the car). It is fixed on the right side.
Another A2 enthusiast in Slovenia told me that his radiator is the same. Is this from the factory and what is the reason for this?

If you look at the top left of the assembly that's moving, there's a hole - for a missing fixing?

RAB

Reactions: mtl
Hi

I can’t say I have ever looked or noticed, I’ll check tonight when I get back from work

J

Looking at you video that doesn’t look right at all on that left side. I’ll take some pictures of mine

Reactions: mtl
If you look at the top left of the assembly that's moving, there's a hole - for a missing fixing?

RAB
You mean this hole?
20220830_074913168_iOS.jpg

This is my homemade solution (hole drilling) to fix the assembly. :)
The small hole above it towards left was factory, but it is outside of the assembly, so I do not think it was used to fix it.
Hi

I can’t say I have ever looked or noticed, I’ll check tonight when I get back from work

J

Looking at you video that doesn’t look right at all on that left side. I’ll take some pictures of mine
I would really appreciate you to take your time and check and please do take the photos.
Because I was ok with my solution (the assebly is now fixed also on the left side), but my fellow enthusiast surprised me that on his car is the same, so maybe this is done for a reason from the factory and I would not like to have some problems in the future.

Last edited:
I agree, this is also why I have fixed it. But I would really like to make sure this fixed assembly is the correct way ;).

Sorry @RAB #18 are the bolts that secure the lower large crash beam through the slam panel and onto the chassis legs.

I have noticed that the radiator on my A2 is not fixed on the left side (looking from in front of the car). It is fixed on the right side.
Another A2 enthusiast in Slovenia told me that his radiator is the same. Is this from the factory and what is the reason for this?
Hi MTL, just had a look at mine, although a BBY ... no fixings on the left hand side and the radiator is free to move back and forwards as in your video.

A2 Rad.jpg

Thank you. Since the radiator is the same on all engines (at least according to my info) this confirms that left part should be wobbly.
No, we need to find the reason for this. Cost cutting was not yet an issue at Audi at that time... :)

Last edited:
Thank you. Since the radiator is the same on all engines (at least according to my info) this confirms that left part should be wobbly.
No, we need to find the reason for this. Cost cutting was not yet an issue at Audi at that time... :)

Hi MTL, do you think it will cause any issues being able to move ... would it be designed this way to allow expansion across the width??

It begs the question of what the hole is for. Is there a thread underneath? Perhaps one person was doing this job on the production line and made the same mistake continuously?

RAB

Aren't there a pair of plastic push-rivet things on the top edge that locate/lock the radiator into the slam panel? Has that come adrift on the left side? I can't check on my car now but there is something in the back of my mind reminding me that I found one floating on one of my cars and it was possible to push it back into place and lock the radiator in position.

Aren't there a pair of plastic push-rivet things on the top edge that locate/lock the radiator into the slam panel? Has that come adrift on the left side? I can't check on my car now but there is something in the back of my mind reminding me that I found one floating on one of my cars and it was possible to push it back into place and lock the radiator in position.

Hi Robin, there doesn't appear to be a hole that lines up with anything on the radiator housing on the left hand side, photographed from the back in picture 1 but there looks to be two parts that could line up for a fixing point in picture 2 and on an entirely different subject ... does everyone have this hole in the air intake pipe, looking from the top straight down in picture 3🤔:

Picture 1:

Back of RAD Housing.jpg

Picture 2

Rad Bracket.jpg

Picture 3

Air Intake.jpg

It begs the question of what the hole is for. Is there a thread underneath? Perhaps one person was doing this job on the production line and made the same mistake continuously?

RAB
Hi Rab the hole doesn't line up with anything and the radiator mounting behind it seems to be designed to miss it.
Back of RAD Housing.jpg

OK, but what's the hole to the right for?

RAB
Hi Rab, if you look at picture two from previous post, it's not actually a hole but it's the back of the peg that's circled, it looks like there could be a fitting that lines up with the radiator housing, I don't beleive mine ever had anything there though.

Hi Rab, if you look at picture two from previous post, it's not actually a hole but it's the back of the peg that's circled.
Yes, I realise that. Maybe there should be a hole there for a fixing. Otherwise what is it for?

RAB

Yes, I realise that. Maybe there should be a hole there for a fixing. Otherwise what is it for?

RAB

If we are talking about the same part, maybe the peg lines up with the circular part on the radiator housing and has a rubber mount missing that connects the two ... wonder if it's caused any problems but an interesting observation by MTL nevertheless 🧐

Back