radio removal hassles

toby1

Hi all,

Some advice required please. I removed my Concert single CD successfully one lunchtime to confirm I had been sent the correct wiring harness after a lengthy delay. Borrowed my housemate's fiancée's Snap-On radio key set and all ok. Removed first time with no problems and confirmed I now have the correct harness.

Replaced the unit to finish off the job later when I reached home. But in the space of four-or-so hours, I now do not have the "click" when the keys go into the slot. After trying for an hour, the best I could do with a bit of ham-fistedness was around less than a quarter of an inch out, i.e. not past the plastic fascia of the unit. Needless to say, the temper was frayed! So before I lost the plot altogether, I gave up.

Is there any way I can remove this head-unit? I'm guessing the "prongs" or whatever retains the unit have seized into the wrong position, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Cheers, Toby1

Hi Toby1
I'm not sure what the Snap-On keys look like but I had similar problems with Autoleads keys, sold by Halfords, when removing my Symphony head unit.
I have since bought the genuine audi keys and they are a dream to use - See picture.
These are available from Vagparts, normally sold as a set of 4 but they may also sell two

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
As Spike says, genuine Audi are the only way to go - even the supposed 'proper' ones from the usual aftermarket suppliers don't normally work.

They're not cheap for what you get, but they do the job in double quick time.

Cheers,

Mike

I don't want to make you sound dumb but did you try them the other way around? ie turning them around and using them. I did that and couldn't remove it then turned them around and it popped out in a jiffy.:D

Tried everything.

I'm not convinced genuine ones will work either, but for £7 or-so I'll have to spend yet more money to prove myself right/wrong.

Snap-On don't have a reputation for making cr*p, let's be fair.

Here's to a few days of pessimism followed by the sound of inevitablility.

Will keep you posted.

Back