Random beeping and duff DIS

OldBanger

Hi, I have a couple of problems/issues with my 12 yr old (A2) - it beeps for about 20 times after being parked up for a couple of hours, this repeats a couple of hours later,,, it may go on all night - but by 12midnight I'm in the land of ZZZzzzz's and so no longer notice it.

Also the DIS has cacked up - some of the pixels are no longer lighting up correctly - and so looks like the mpg, average speed etc are written in Hebrew. - can I get into the dash and wiggle something to correct this ?

Any help would be gratefully received

cheers

Hi you are correct that the scan is the best option. The free version of vag vom(vcds) is quite usable and available with the clear blue lead for £6-£15 on ebay. The beeping noise is it from the dash or car alarm? The dead pixels on the dash is a common problem on lots of audis but i dont recall many a2's suffering-im sure one of the more technical minded will be able to answer whether its possible to swap out the display.
Hope this helps cheers mike

The random beeping could actually be the alarm going off. Its so quiet that even the low fuel warning buzzer makes more noise. Check the bonnet service flap closes properly.

Cheers Spike

There is a vendor on Ebay who apparently repairs DIS cluster displays.
There is also another vendor on Ebay who sells replacement LCD panels for DIS clusters.

I've not read on this forum of anyone trying either of the above routes, but there's always someone who has to be first!

The beeping could be for the alarm system, some of the audi systems have a battery backup and when that fails the system beeps, just like a smoke alarm telling you the battery is flat.

I don't know if the A2 has this, but plenty of other Audi models do.

cheers for the reply's.

thanks spike - I checked the service hatch closes correctly and alls well. The first time the fuel warning alarm happened (11 yrs ago ) - I left skid marks ,, in my pants - why did they make it so loud,,, and so irritating - audi engineers must have thought - whats the most aggressive annoy sound sample we could use - yeap that will do the trick ! :eek:)

I think Criagby maybe have hit the nail on the head -- it all started (the random beeps) about two years ago when we had the first of those really bad winters , which drained the hell out of my ; then - ten year old battery - resulting in the car not starting on Christmas day (Until I gave it a charge in the house). - So logic would suggest ; because the main car battery wasn't producing enough power over that period - it may have put strain on the any alarm backup battery (which its self will be ten years old). mmmmmm, now to locate this backup battery - damn Hynes for not producing a manual.

Dan_b - cheers for that - I'll check out ebay and price up the job - The whole lower have of the display is starting to be illegible.

Sumo - thanks - I got the blue lead from ebay, and set up a lappy with VCD-Lite on it , had a little tinker last night - but to be honest - not sure what I'm doing LOL - so didn't play with anything that looked too risky. Now too try see if I can 'find' some 'other' software to do a full diagnostics ;o) cough cough.

Cheers guys. - some good food for thought

Jon

If you get to the point of removing the cluster to get it repaired, there is a way to reduce the volume of the Defcon 5 Klaxon of Death - I did it on my cluster recently when I did my DIS swap.
Take the cluster out and on the back of it is a louvre where the buzzer is located and emits its hideous wail. What I did was simply to put some tape over the grille to deaden the sound a bit. It really helps take the edge off the buzzer I can tell you! I can still hear it, but it doesn't make you leap out of the seat when it goes off!

Back