Rattle from suspension??? going over bumps....

chrisnic

Hi
I have a 1.6 fsi that has recently started making some strange dull knocking noises when going over rough surfaces but doesn't when going round corners i.e. when the steering is turned??? any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
chris

Front or rear suspension?

At the front the things that come to mind are worn roll bar bushes or drop links ; at the rear if the rubbers that the springs sit in at top and bottom have worn those can cause noise going over bumps. Additionally, what condition are the shocks / springs in at both ends?

The springs and shocks looked ok when I last looked at them while up on a lift. The thing that confused me was that it doesn’t make the noise going over bumps on a corner when the steering is turned, so I thought maybe the track rod ends which would be under tension when turned?

The arb bushes and the drop links are under tension when going around a corner due to body role this may well be enough to stop the knocking. Check the drop links first then the arb bushes. Both are easy to do and cheap. Note that you may well need the arb for the polo as the plastic sleeves are likely long gone hence the need for the smaller bore arb of the polo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will check it out at the weekend, weather permitting. It does sound like a worn rubber bush type noise so hopefully as you suggested... many thanks guys, and I will let you know!

If it is, there is a convenient Febi kit containing the 2 bushes, the 2 metal retaining straps, and 4x stretch bolts holding them in situ that I used on our 52-plate 1.4i a few months ago - I think that it is Febi 37655 (see below) but I seem to have deleted the Email relating to the order that would confirm this. They also do a kit containing the drop links as well but whether that would be the ideal length for the A2 is a different question - I simply don't know because I bought those in separately.

Just found in my car refurb file that it was a set of Febi 37657 that I used - I don't know what the difference to the originally cited part number is.

Febi 37077 is the kit with 16mm bushes and fittings and also the 270mm Drop links included. 37655 that I quoted above is used for the 20.8mm diameter roll bar mounting including the plastic bit sleeve Paul mentioned that usually falls off, so probably not suitable.

Last edited:
Back