rattle/knock when starting warm

captainbob

start from cold (over night) its fine, start after run for 40 miles and left for 2 hours rattle/knocks !! is an 04 but only 18k miles ? done filter and oil and put in the long service oil and still does it. if it had done >50k might expect, but only purchase some months ago and 16k then. my wifer had it for the first months so only just can to my attention.

thanks all

I see from your profile you have a 1.6fsi. On these engines its fairly normal to get a diesel type 'knock' when starting from cold due to the fuelling and ignition timing being optimised for cold starting. As you seem to get these symptoms from a warm start its possible you have a faulty temp sender. Suggest you have a diagnostic scan which may pinpoint the problem.

Cheers Spike

Spike.. you jut answered my question there.. my wifes 03 1.6FSI Sport for the first second on cold start rattles like an old diesel tractor and then goes as silent as a mouse...

I guess it makes sense that the cold start system would fire injectors and prime everything at warp speed to get things running from cold but I think I may get her serviced and get the valves checked whilst I am there....

Old than that she runs as sweet as a nut.,, just need to replace the wiper relay and pickup the missing luggage tray and I am done

You might find that the 'Rattle' will be longer or louder on some days and hardly noticeable on other days. I recently had an Oil change at Audi, (was free because they forgot to put any windscreen wash on the last service! Not the first time either!) Anyway, it Rattled loudly for a few days and is now calm again, I can only assume there is oil in the car as there is no warning light! lol :)

You might find that the 'Rattle' will be longer or louder on some days and hardly noticeable on other days. I recently had an Oil change at Audi, (was free because they forgot to put any windscreen wash on the last service! Not the first time either!) Anyway, it Rattled loudly for a few days and is now calm again, I can only assume there is oil in the car as there is no warning light! lol :)

I thought the same so was out there checking the oil.. no issues on that side.. just a charateristic of the engine I guess

Back