Rattles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Puppes

Hello there!
I have just bought a 2001 A2 with 3500 km on the clock. Now however I have noticed a rattling(vibrating) noise coming from somewhere on the passengerside, my car is adjusted for Swedish conditions so the driving wheel is on the left side of the car. I've tried to pin-point it, thinking it might by the air condition exhausts or something but I can't find the cause. Also the noise only comes intermittently but is quite loud when it does. My question is if someone has experienced something like this and if there is any use in turning it in to the retailer/garage so they can check it out? Unfortunately the 2 year new car warranty has just expired as well...darn.

Air Vent rattle?

Hi Puppes
I went here to post the solution to a rattle that has annoyed me for two years. There is a chance that it's the same rattle that you have, but it may help others who get it. It seems it could easily be a common problem.

The symptoms are a metallic "tinkling" noise coming from behind the central air-vents or passengers airbag area. It could also come from behind the instruments, but not on mine. I liken the noise to a "jamjar full of teaspoons".

I always imagined it was a wobbly linkage rod for the air vents or climate control, as its worse in summer; in reality it is the ENGINE COVER (bonnet)!

The engine cover sits at the back locked into two plastic sliders. These sliders are clipped into metal brackets screwed to the engine-bay. Unfortunately these sliders seem a slightly loose fit on the brackets & can move about 0.5mm. This movement is enough to rattle against the cover locating pegs, & is amplified by the alloy sheet of the cover.

To see if it is this, just tap the back corner of the engine cover(the pointy bit), on each side, with your finger. If it "tinkles" then Bob's your fathers brother!

The simple solution was to remove cover and put a tiny piece of tissue paper in the plastic slide. This then limits its wobbly movement when the engine cover peg is slid into it. Ultimately I'll glue the plastic to its bracket with silicon sealant as proper solution.

Hope this info useful.

Any other A2 rattles resolved? I still have more!
How about the rear seatbelt reels?

Hrmm, okay, I'll check it out, though my rattle it sound metallic in origin, more like plastic bits "tapping" each other :)

Hi Keith, I have a rattle in the rear of my A2 can you please tell me about the rear seat belt reels? Many thanks

noises noises noises.

KAOD. I had a noise in the back once. Found it to be the head rests. I just re-positioned them at half mast, and the noise disappeared. Strange but true.

Kaine

I had a similiar problem on the rear seats.
Just put some sponge-material inside the seat locks (actually behind the lock).

The seat lock is like this:

SEAT |
|
=========/
|| ||
|| || <- latch
|| X ||
||
=========\
|

Just put the sponge material where the X is.
It completly removed the noises in my car.

Give it a go.

Cheers,
A2day
|

Speed doesn't kill... sudden deacceleration does!
small1.jpg
Audi A2 1.4 TDI
See it > http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/europe26.htm

I have the same little rattle at the back left of my interior. I've never worked out where it's originating from but guess it must be the seat belt reel or headrest.

Maybe I'll try your sponge idea as well!

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE:http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk1.htm Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

A2OC Website | A2OC Forum

The only rattle, squeak really, I have left is the centre console, level with the radio. If I press my left leg against it whilst I am driving it stops. Weird.

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

I believe they use them to entertain small children and babbies alike.

Also they are a no cost standard extra in the new mini!

My A2 developed a back seat rattle like A2day's, just a week or so after I bought it. Squeaking on nearside, like a bottle of bolts on offside. Took it to Oxford Audi; they had it for a day and identified all the parts needed to fix it (it is the latches). Unfortunately not in stock on the day, but it's now booked in for Monday - so we'll see whether that solves the problem.

....he only rattle, squeak really, I have left is the centre console, level with the radio. If I press my left leg against it whilst I am driving it stops. Weird......

I have a "ticking" sound coming from the centre console. If I press the area around the right (passenger) heated seat control, the sound stops.

I think it's a loose cable harness inside the console. Anybodu beein in there to check how it looks?

/Martin

2003 A2 petrol with some extras!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back