Rattling noise from engine bay

kiklop123

hello dear forum members.
I attached the video of my problem. It is the rattling noise when starting engine, switching it off, going over the bumps, pressing and releasing the clutch aggressively, pressing and releasing the acc. pedal in low revs..... I am experiencing this problem since my clutch was replaced (all parts except the flywheel).
The clutch was replaced at official dealer. As soon i got the car i noticed this problem, and went back to the workshop. They did a test (stopped car, 1st gear, movement back and forward) and they diagnosed gearbox has space. I was a bit in shock, as the clutch was just being replaced and had no problems before the car was serviced. Nevertheless, i did a simple test to diagnose the sound, and you can hear it on attached video. I dont thing it has any connection with gearbox. I am suspecting engine mounts. Looking forward to hear your thoughts. BRGDS, Andrej

Have you checked exhaust mounts or a bracket causing contact with exhaust or heat shields etc.....
Clearly something in contact shaking the engine.
However not sure an engine should move like that. Have you checked rear mounts / gearbox etc....
Even subframe.
I think you need a look from beneath car whilst someone rattles the block to be honest.....
Hope you find it....

I agree with you Bumblebee. I need to lift the car and locate where the sound is coming from exactly.
For sure some of you have problems with engine mounts. Are the symptoms similar to mine?
Dave M suggested if Could it be a loose or worn dog bone mount.
I am just checking on this ....(but first i need to find it....)

another video in first gear pressing and releasing the clutch. The engine is shaking quite hard. The sound comes from right side. My wife said its coming from where the engine mount is. Could this be the problem?

I agree with you Bumblebee. I need to lift the car and locate where the sound is coming from exactly.
For sure some of you have problems with engine mounts. Are the symptoms similar to mine?
Droplink (dogbone) will be whilst driving and suspension under load, not rocking the engine.
I would check engine mount 😉

Dog bone issue . Either the bolts have sheared / backed off or the rubber bush has failed or even partially missing.

Carefully check the wear in the upper engine mounts because the worn dog bone will put them under more stress.

Drop links and dog bone are separate items.

Thanks everybody. Will check the dogbone tomorrow. If the rattle comes from there, changing dog bone doesn't seem too complicated. Or am I wrong.?

No straight forward to do. You may have better luck finding a replacement dog bone for a Fabia or Polo.

Search this site as several have used these alternative model dog bones ( you may have to use your existing bracket with the replacement dog bone ).

Right hand side (when standing in front of car) bottom of gear box, just below where the gearbox drain plug is on the AUA

so it is reachable from bellow the car probably. Does the engine tray to be removed too?
Thank you all.
Yes. I have the engine tray off mine at the moment (doing some bits an pieces) so can’t be 100% sure but my hunch is you may be able to do the dog bone without removing the engine tray. You will certainly be able to see it.

I would just check with someone rocking the engine as you showed in your video and you observing that it is dog bone, indeed carefully visually inspect as well before condemning the dog bone in case it’s not it. It may be that it wasn’t fitted back properly after the clutch change, don’t loose sight of the fact you didn’t have the problem until after the clutch change.

exactly. there were no problems before the clutch was changed. Unfortunattly no one is at home, to help me rocking the engine. I need to grab the dog bone, while someone is rocking the engine. I will fell it in my hand if it is something wrong with dog bone.
However looking for spare parts. Forum members from other thread said, it can be of Skoda Fabia, but it confuses me which part from Febi is the right one. There are 31113, 31124, or 108779.
I replaced the org. BHC engine support 8Z0 199 851 AA with Febi 31083 - 6Q0 199 851 AA.

BHC+ ATL: 8Z0 199 851 AA
AMF : 8Z0 199 851 H
ANY+AUA +BBY+BAD: 8Z0 199 851 J, R, S and K

Febi 31113 covers suff. AG and AQ and Febi 108779 cover AR.
Sorry, but i dont understand which part fits AUA engine. 31113 covers all?

OK,
I would just check with someone rocking the engine as you showed in your video and you observing that it is dog bone, indeed carefully visually inspect as well before condemning the dog bone in case it’s not it. It may be that it wasn’t fitted back properly after the clutch change, don’t loose sight of the fact you didn’t have the problem until after the clutch change.
Checked and problem found.
but it looks now having even bigger problems.
The bolt (screw) holding the dog bone to assembly carrier is not holding. It is turning instead. Screw thread or thread in assembly carrier is eaten up.
AS it was removed when the clutch was changed, and problems started soon after, i am taking the car back to the mechanic.
Hope we can solve the problem without changing the whole assembly carries.

So looking at the parts catalogue the original part numbers were

8Z0199851J AUA/BBY
8Z0199851R BAD
8Z0199851S BAD/AUA/BBY
8Z0199851K Any

So I expect that over the whole of production Audi made variants for the different versions of the A2 and towards the end of production settled on 8Z0199851K fitted to all variants.

OK,

Checked and problem found.
but it looks now having even bigger problems.
The bolt (screw) holding the dog bone to assembly carrier is not holding. It is turning instead. Screw thread or thread in assembly carrier is eaten up.
AS it was removed when the clutch was changed, and problems started soon after, i am taking the car back to the mechanic.
Hope we can solve the problem without changing the whole assembly carries.
Nice dog, did it get confused with all this talk of dog bones? Glad you have found it, let’s hope the thread hasn’t been stripped!

Let's hope it's just the thread on the bolt that has been damaged and it can simply be replaced. If it is the captive nut that is the cause of the problem then it's going to be more difficult as it's welded to the top of the subframe under the steering rack. Here's a photo I found showing the fixing.
See what the garage say when you take it back.

Screenshot 2022-10-24 at 10.32.02.png

Back