Re-leathered seats - Repairs done -

Rich.

A2OC Donor
Hi,

Just got my car back after 14 days of repairs after the damage december 2008 see previous
topic.

3536469316_298d0eb13c.jpg

Its looking in top condition again, it has had the two front wings both resprayed again, thats twice in the last 9 months :p

3536472172_074b5c83ba.jpg

There is not one scratch on the vehicle now, it has had all the broken glass taken out the passenger door, a new door card on the passenger side, and front seats re-leathered.

I do have a couple of things, the new red leather is like a matt colour, it matches the gear leaver red leather but it doesn't match the rear seats or the right driver door card. The leather original on the car has a gloss sort of shine to it? It is not that noticable.

Im not sure wheither to ask for a new door card for the driver door so it will match all at the front, you cant really tell between the front and back, or will the leather go shinny and glossy later?

Another two minors, it looks like they caught the blade they used on the black plastic near the driver seat belt, (picky I know!) - should I get it fixed by glue or something?? or a new bit on?

3536477782_94b1139a7a.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8021242@N03/3536477782/

and the second one was when I got the car back the gearbox felt very very notchy, I wasn't very pleased, I thought they had been rev'ing it around but I took the bonnet off to find a piece of sandpaper!! stuck in the gear linkages?, removed and all back to smooth changes :D

What do you think of the re-leather??

- Full pictures -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8021242@N03/

Looks good Richard. I dont know about matt or gloss finish on the leather. Maybe the existing parts have taken on a shine from general wear and cleaning products. A red leather owner like the Skip is maybe your best bet for an answer to this. Re the trim - if the garage have damaged it - insist they replace it. Having recently bought this trim panel it cost me £18 retail - so sorting it wont break the insurance companies bank ( or in this climate maybes it will!).

What was the end game with your insurer? Did Direct Line come good or has this cost you a small fortune!

You have had a share of niggles and bad luck with your new toy. Heres hoping they are all sorted now - barring your opensky issues. And to think - that car was very nearly on my driveway last year!!! :D ;)

Last edited:
I paid RAC £60 for the glass, and £190 to the repair centre when I got the car back from them, = total £250 excess. I'm happy with direct line, although going to move to elephant next month when insurance is for renewal costing £1000 full 10 months bonus no claims accelerator with personal injury cover, 21 day hire car, and extra for modifications cover (£20-30 each for those three you can choose to have them or not). So when I get my tints back on the front I will be covered if I need them back (I selected --Windows - Tinted < 30% -- I think its the correct one, there is Windows - Front Darkened > 30% & Windows - Rear Darkened > 30% -- I already have the rear darkended but you can have what you want on the back), the price of £1000 covers full tints on the car, whereas with Direct Line anything even supaglass they will not cover me because im under 25.

Did loose no claims bonus but insurance is only costing after the issue about £300 than it should do with the 2 years no claims I would have had. My opensky works fine, just a little noise when it comes to closing on the last few cm's.

(Modifications Cover
If you have told us your car has non standard parts or modifications fitted then you can add this extra cover to help towards the cost of replacing them if you need to make a claim. The level of cover provided is the same as you have chosen on your main policy, e.g comprehensive or third party fire and theft. We will pay you:

Up to £500 cash (or 10% of the vehicle value if less).
Or up to £2,500 cash for modifications due to a disability (or 10% of the vehicle value if less).)

Last edited:
Looking good Richard.

The seats are always a matt finish when new from the factory and my front two are now shiney, whilst the rears (which get virtually no use in our no-kid houshold) are still relatively dull-looking.

Cheers,

Mike

murdo, was the trim panel you got for £18 the one with 2 cutouts for buttons or one ?? i need the part number for the 2 hole version as i bought a replacement one a few years ago as one i our children marked the old one. i decided to leave it on until they were older and then replace it, that is now and i unpacked the new one the other day and it only has one button cutout !!! but i thought i paid much more than £18 for it.

so, Richard, if you need a one hole panel i have a brand new one (which i won't bother cutting a hole in if they are only £18 for a new one)

Alan

murdo, was the trim panel you got for £18 the one with 2 cutouts for buttons or one ?? i need the part number for the 2 hole version as i bought a replacement one a few years ago as one i our children marked the old one. i decided to leave it on until they were older and then replace it, that is now and i unpacked the new one the other day and it only has one button cutout !!! but i thought i paid much more than £18 for it

After much faffing about with parts being ordered and returned it turns out you cant get the panel with 2 holes. Most odd.:confused:
It needs to be 'worked' as ETKA states. There are two parts available, both with a single button hole, the alternative has a hole on the front face for something to do with factory phone prep.
You can have my old one if you want. It is soul black if that matches your car, and it has the 2 holes. There isnt much marking 'if any' - I think I was being overly picky as usual. :eek:
if no use, start practicing with a Dremel! - its definitely £18.

Last edited:
dremel it is then !! i can practice on the old one, but as far as being 'overly picky' we must be as bad as you. I have also just had our 17" sport alloys powder coated, they werent that bad but i am trying to get the car 'back to showroom condition' for its 5th birthday on the 20th of next month !! i even bought new wheel centres for £55 on ebay when the old ones look fine from a distance.

thanks for the advice murdo, and richard get it bought !!

I wish my paintwork was that good! (mind you, I have done about 60K more than you and yours has been resprayed a 'few' times!)

I think i'll leave that little mark on the trim, I will find out who did the releather for everyone, it looks good, the same as the rear in the way all the stitching goes :)

adding the second hole to trim panel

dremel it is then !! i can practice on the old one

I ended up using a dremel gas soldering iron with a knife tip on it. i used the old panel to practice making three holes before i had the confidence to butcher the new one. after marking the shape i first drilled the four corners and then using the knife from the back gently cut into the plastic trim just penetrating through so as not to melt too big an area, it was then just a careful finishing job with a craft knife to create a snug fit for the alarm switch.

JOB DONE, well happy with the final result.

I have some minor issues with the rear of my leather seats, see the driver seat (right) the rear bottom cover keeps dropping off the seat on the one side. I have clipped it back on, the tiny clip a number of times but when the car is moving it falls off again.

Is there a way I can fix it myself?

Secondly the passenger side, the piece of leather keeps coming out, as you can see, can I also fix this or should I take it back to where the work was carried out?

Want to have them sorted before the one year warranty expires. (well not too sure how long the warranty is) hopefully on the leather and repaint longer than one year.

4540810872_ccc20d1672_m.jpg
4540177347_3a2bd451ed_m.jpg

Larger pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8021242@N03/with/4540810872/

I'd be taking it back to the guys who did the work I think, surley it wouldn't even take long to put right.

Back