Rear bearing, grease spec and torque question(s)

Kennedy

A2OC Donor
Hi folks,

I'm working on my tdi 90 and have removed the noisy rear hub/bearing assemblies without too much trouble. I have a few questions regarding the rebuild and fitting the new ones which despite a little digging I haven't really found conclusive answers;

Q1) What's the correct grease for packing the bearings with? - I have LM2 and EP2 on the shelf in the garage...

Q2) How much grease, can I pack too much in there?

and then....

Q3) What's the correct torque for the 30mm bi-hex locking hub nut?

Q4) What's the correct torque for the carrier to rear beam (8mm socket cap) bolts? - and should these be renewed?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Kennedy.

1. New bearings should come greased.
2. Don't add any more
3. 70Nm + 30deg
4. If you mean part 17 below then 30Nm + 90deg
1533733931372.png

Simon.

Cheers Simon, and thanks for getting up a diagram...

So yes I've got SKF rear bearing kits and they do appear to be greased but in my opinion do not appear to contain much, figured it was just a small amount for shipping and preventing oxidisation. I'll leave off adding grease for now then... explains why I haven't found much info on grease spec for rear wheel bearings...

Cheers for torque figure on the hub nut, noted that.

The other two bolts I am talking about are not actually on the diagram above but would locate in the rear of the beam, behind the stub axle points on the diagram above - it's two 8mm socket cap bolts that hold the rear caliper.

Lee.

Being a Nyloc, the hub nut should be new.
RAB

65Nm and no requirement to replace, If that doesn't sound right I can post a picture tomorrow.

Cheers chaps, I'll work to that - new 30mm hub nuts, but will whack the existing carrier bolts back in as they look in good shape anyway. 65NM torque sounds okay, they were tight little b'tards to get out!!

So definitely no extra grease action on these SKF bearings for the rear?? - part VKBA 3567

Kennedy

Sounds counter-intuitive but too much grease is bad for bearings - the churning causes the grease to over-heat and the rolling elements skid rather than roll. Here's the relevant section for the caliper carrier;

1533753384191.png

Simon.

Thanks again chaps, that's all the info I needed. Will be back together and on the road in no time...

Kennedy.

Back