Rear brake pads replacement?

wildnomad

Hi there!

I'm going to need to replace my rear break pads soon and wondered if it's an easy enough job to do by myself or weather I need specail tools?

I was thinking of a set of Mintex (MDB1377) pads, or should I purchase Audi original parts (twice the cost)?

Any help appriciated :)

Hi back

To make your life easier its best to have a caliper piston wind-back tool to retract the pistion into the caliper cylinder.
This gives you the space to fit the new brake pads.

You can use a variety of other tools but there is the risk of injury and damage to the piston and the dust boot. More so if the bits are corroded!

blue skies
Tony

I believe you need the wind back tool for the rear because of the handbrake. The front you can just use brute force to push the piston back as I did and watch out for the excess brake fluid coming out of the container! Torx bits, axle stands, cooper grease, wire brush and some cabling to hold the calliper so it doesn't dangle on the brake line and a screw driver to undo the disc, i think that's it. Photo guide in German for the front brake here http://www.leibbrands.de/Brake.pdf

those Mintex ones that you spec are perfect for the job.. I fitted them all round with new front disks a few months back and everything is perfect

I have mintex on the rear of mine. However next time for the rears I would fit a soft compound from EBC or similar. The rear discs on the A2 don't scrub the disc enough, so my logic is that a softer compound would help and will still last ages. I have not tried this, but thats what I am fitting next.

Thanks for the advice!

sounds like I should give it to someone who knows what they're doing. Is it something I should get an Audi dealer to do or is it worth trusting the local mechanic? I presume it's a similar process on most cars.

Really easy to do the pads (and discs) on these cars. Same as a polo or skoda fabia (and same parts too!).
Any garage or competent home mechanic could do this.

I used to be Audi dealer all the way, but since discovering the forum (only the other day) I`ve realaised that my trusty dealer has been charging me a fortune. £250 to replace rear discs and pads. Reading the threads here you can buy the parts for under £80 and pay a mechanic about the same to fit.

Disks and pads on the audi are no different to any other car. . . 7mm key is the only specific tool needed

Remove wheel, undo 2 x hex bolts with 7mm key, use a plumbers vice grip to compress the pads so the caliper can slide passed any ridge on the edge of the disk, use some wire to hang the caliper once removed.. . . No remove old pads. . Clean any dust and crud. Use a remind tool to put the piston back inside the caliper whilst watching your fluid level . Install new pads and reverse the process to refit

Cars only vary slightly on the way pads are held in place, the clips and squeal shims, low pad warning indicators and how the caliper are held in place,. . . But the job from car to car is about 90% the same

Just use a local garage if you don't fancy it yourself :)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

For the fronts I recently bought some Meyle pads/discs for £45. Excellent quality and the discs are coated to prevent rusting.

Back