Rear disc conversion

KneesUp

A2OC Donor
Just wondering whether anyone knows about how rear disc brakes come to be fitted to an A2? I was on the M3 a couple of days ago and parked at a service station next to a guy with a mid-metallic blue 1.4TDi with rear disc brakes. Not only did he not know he had rear discs (!), but did also didn't know he had RS4-style wheels with new Dunlops... The car was also an Open Sky model and had leather and Bose... He bought it for a knock-down price from his local Audi dealer which wanted shot of it... It was a cracker. Perhaps this is an ex-Club car...? Anyway, I can't find ref on the site to rear-disc conversions but any thoughts would be appreciated.

All 90bhp versions of the 1.4 TDI had rear disk brakes.
I'm not sure of the value of adding disks to a car which doesn't already have them - most of the brake effort is performed by the front brakes - the rears tend to simply corrode away over years of little use.

FSIs have rear disks too. Yes, you can upgrade, it has been extensively discussed over on the German site, including partnumbers. Essentially unless you're driving on the track, you won't get much use out of them in the UK. Upgrade the fronts to 280 or 312 first.

Bret

doh...

Thanks for that... You can tell I'm new to this can't you...? Although I think the brakes on my 75 are pretty poor so every bit helps... Brembos more so presumably. Thanks again.

A2 brakes are not poor! If that's what you feel when driving, you need to have them looked at. Such a light car doesn't require rear disks for normal conditions. Before any big aftermarket brake upgrades, try a fluid change and/or pad replacement if needed.

Isn't there a problem when going from dot 4 to dot 5? Something to do with silicone and hoses?

Correct dont use silicone based Dot5. However Dot5.1 is suitable and will provide greater fade resistance. Although some Dot 4 rated fluids such as ATE super Blue exceeds Dot 5.1 temperature standards so always read the specs!

Back