rear discs/drums

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickbow

has anybody changed the rear drum brakes for the fsi disc type . going to paint drums with black exhaust paint for time being (before they get rusty) ,lasted four years on my golf

2003 se tdi ebony black, black leather,sky,dis,lumber,climate , w-pack, 5 spoke alloys

hello thought i`d jump in ! just bought the wife a 2000 A2 wow good car i`ve still kept my mk2 16v golf but admit to using A2 MORE. Rusty rear drums I thought ok on my old beetle but a new audi! So good idea but you would need to have calper mounts/brakets would`nt you how about the aluminium drums on the new tdi- polished do they fit? (better looking and lighter)

thanks for the input bumper,what tdi has alu drums?.

2003 se tdi ebony black, black leather,sky,dis,lumber,climate , w-pack, 5 spoke alloys

Audi A2 1.2 TDI according to an audi press release Nov 1999 (old!) "The axle mounting frame , control arms and spring struts are made from aluminium instead of steel. The brake callipers on the front disc brakes and the brake drums at the rear are likewise of this lighter metal" sounds great don`t it BUT......I`ve not seen a 1.2 to crawl under so can`t confirm if true. Come on u 1.2 owners are the rumours true??

2000 1.4se,cobalt blue,16"6spoke,sat int,6cd,isofix

Those light gray rear drums are an eyesore when the start to rust. Has anyone thought of painting them with exhaust paint or any other high temp resistant paint?.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I'm very curious about this too.

I a month or so I'll be changing my winterwheels back to my alloy summerwheels and in the process of doing this I want to paint the drums.
I think that there is a special kind of paint for brakes, some cars have their brakes painted red and I think that that's special paint.
I want mine just plain black, I want to clean it, sand it and then paint it, and then gently mount the wheel on it...

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I will check the drums on my 1.2 as soon as the weather gets better (or if you come to the social, you can check for yourself next week...:)

Bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS, Apple iPod :)

I painted my rear drums with dark metallic grey hammerite. Don't think they'll get warm enough to do any damage to the paint ... and they look so much better than before.

Tino
Dolphin Grey 1.4 SE

Plastikote silver grey is the beastie.
Mine now two years and counting. No rust.

icon_smile_cool.gif

Ive had silver smoothrite on the drums of my beetle for the last 8 years & still ok but I still like the idea of polished ali shining through my 6 spokes! unique to audi I would think? cos I must admit I have never seen ali drums. I would have thought the metal to soft (thoughts of chocolate teapots come to mind) they surely must be bi-metal with a steel inner? anyone got a part no?

I am restoring a 1964 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider (whats one of those I hear you ask) ... and I can tell you they don't make brake drums like those anymore - 13" drums in helically finned aluminium with 3 brake shoes. They look gorgeous and stop just as well as a disc brake. But I digress ... to answer bumper's question ... they have a steel inner lining which the shoescontact against, and I am guessing the A2's are the same??

Tino
Dolphin Grey 1.4 SE

i painted my rear drums on a vw polo with smooth silver hammerite lasted 5 years no problem temp of rear drums gets no where near the melting point of hammerite and you don't have to prep the surface of the drum other than dust and loose rust if you have any.
Careful not!!! to paint the mating surface of the drum to alloy since this can unbalance the wheel as told by tyre fitters since they had a hard time balancing my wheels due to the paint on my drums.
Another thing to watch out for is not to apply the paint too thickly other wise it can run and look more of a mess i should know!!
Not painted my drums yet waiting for better weather

Kind Regards
Andy (A2OC0149)

A.D.Simmons

Done the job. I used halfords high/temp black gloss engine paint at a cost of £4.99, the tin looked a bit small, but i have painted both drums and the front brake calipers,and still have half a tin left. The whole job took a week, as i allowed 24 hours on each wheel to dry, (it looks great)

quickbow,

Any photos? I'm interested to see how it looks

Kaine

----------------------------------------------------------
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie

Sorry Kaine no photos. But take my word for it,anything is better than rusty drums ect,regards Q/bow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back