Rear Electric Windows Retrofit

wilco184

Member of the year 2015
Hi,

I've had my current A2 since December of 2014. After fitting a few nice retrofits and modifications such as the twin interior boot light, dual tone horn and more recently RNS-E, I've found it really enjoyable to be undertaking work like this and improving my car in the process. Like a few other members of the A2OC, I enjoy installing factory options that my car doesn't have. There's a certain pleasure to be had from making up wiring looms, changing parts and then being pleased with the results. It's good fun. :)

A few months after swapping to a double DIN dashboard and installing RNS-E, a new question arose. What should I do next? I had narrowed down my choices to two possible outcomes. Bose or rear electric windows. Shortly after, an ideal Bose kit was listed on eBay and so, I put in a offer which was accepted. Sadly, there was a 'situation' with the Bose kit and the net result is that it did not get to me. Disappointing, yes, hence my choice of retrofit changed to rear electric windows.

Which brings me neatly to the purpose of this thread, to document my rear electric windows retrofit. I'll have to document this over a couple of posts. It's pretty photograph heavy, but a picture tells a thousand words, as they say. :p

Armed with a copies of ETKA, ElsaWin and Tom's (Timmus) excellent post here, I started collecting the parts I would need for the installation. The list is as follows:

- Window regulators.
- Rear drivers and passenger side motors.
- A collection of pins, repair wires and connectors.
- Rear door cards for electric windows.
- The drivers door switch.
- A spare roll of loom tape.
- The correct 30A fuse.
- The necessary wires.

Regarding the window regulators, I had purchased the complete regulator with the window frame and glass. This would enable me to simply remove the window frame from my car, and then drop in the new ones; as opposed to disassembling each side further. Pictured below are the complete window frames. Note the different motor mounting points, with their 'splined socket'.

I started the retrofit by running the 2.5mm 'power' cables to each of the B pillars, on the inside of the car. These wires are permanent live feeds used to power the window motors themselves. The wires run from a main 12V connection in the space under the passenger footwell, to a 30A slow blow fuse situated at the bottom of the passenger A pillar, across the dashboard, along the sills and then to the B pillar terminal blocks. On the return path, a 2.5mm earth cable must be installed from the terminal blocks to a suitable earthing point on the car's chassis. I chose the earth connections at the bottom of the A pillars. In the pictures below, the cables have been loosely inserted ready to be wrapped properly, later on. There's something wrong in the first photo, 10 points to the person that spots it! It's been corrected now, don't worry. :p

The existing wires for controlling the rear door locks must be disconnected from the CCCU, as they are no longer necessary. The reason for this being that the 7 wires needed each side for controlling the door locks are now taken from the window module inside each door. The window modules now control the door locks directly, getting instructions from the CCCU over CAN-BUS. With manual rear windows fitted at the factory, there are no CAN wires going to the rear doors as there is no requirement for them. As such, they must be fitted along with a couple more wires. The new wires are spliced into the A pillar connections for the front door, as the K line and CAN connections form a 'bus'. In total, each side's B pillar block has 9 wires going to it. CAN high and low, a K line connection, two small current 12V feeds, the two speaker connections, a 2.5mm 12V connection and a 2.5mm earth connection, as mentioned above. Personally, I don't match the correct colours of my retrofitted wiring, but the connections are the same. Some pins are no longer needed at the CCCU end - connector 2 can be cut off entirely, as well as pins 8, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 18 from connector 4. The photos below show the pins that are no longer required being removed from the CCCU connections and the new wrapped up loom running along the sill to the appropriate connections at the A pillar.

Last edited:
With the looms running along the sill complete and wrapped up, the wiring inside the actual car is done. The only things I had left to do were to tidy up how the looms are secured on the B pillar using the clips that are already there and to tidy up the CCCU wiring, seeing that it had be altered to remove the pins. I've never really been happy with how Audi wraps the loom by the CCCU. They use Tesa tape up to a certain point, but then the insulated cables are then either left open or wrapped intermittently with insulation tape. It looks like it hasn't been done by Audi, so this was a good point to tidy things up. I'm happy with the result. The photographs below show the modified looms to the B pillars inside and the wrapped up wiring at the CCCU.

Work inside the car is then done, everything else is within the doors. I started by stripping each door, to the point where I could remove the window frames in their entirety. There are four Torx bolts securing them to the door. The inner aluminium door panel must be removed to access two of the bolts. The photographs below show the door starting to be stripped down, and then the door with the window frame removed.

The new door frames for electric windows were then replaced and adjusted as necessary. Due to not swapping my parts from a donor car, I did not have a door loom for electric windows. Instead, I needed to extract the loom from the door and modify it to make it suitable. This was probably one of the larger parts of the retrofit, as many new pins must be added for various connectors. The necessary modifications were made, the loom was re-wrapped in Tesa tape and then replaced back into the door. Putting the wiring back through the rubber grommet between the door and the car is a real pain, I'm glad I most likely will never do it again. Unfortunately, I don't really have any pictures of the loom modification in progress, but this is what the original door loom looks like when it is removed.

With the door frame back in and the looms threaded back through, the rest of the door can then be reassembled. The location of the original winder and the new location of the motor are different, and so the old holes must be sealed up with foil tape to prevent moisture ingress. When the inner aluminium panel is back on and everything else in place, the new door cards can be fitted. Black door cards for rear electric windows are rarely for sale, making it hard to source a pair. I had to purchase them through German eBay and have them shipped over. They are in good condition and from a MY 2005 car. Happily, the soft touch surrounds to the switches and door handles are in perfect condition, so these parts alone have been a nice upgrade. The door cards can then be installed, making sure to connect the new connector for the switch. The new door cards are pictured below.

With the innards of the door installed, with the door card located over the top, the rear doors are now complete. As such, the rear electric windows will now work. There's only one item left to install. The front drivers window switch. As standard with manual rear windows, there is only enough wiring in the front door card loom to support two electric windows in the front. Due to this, four extra wires must be added into the door card loom between the 32 pin connector that connects to the drivers door module and the 10 pin connector for the window switch. Once these wires are installed, the physical window switch and surround can be installed into the door card. The photograph below shows the new window switch, with switches for all four windows.

After this is done, the retrofit is complete! :)

Overall, I've really enjoyed doing this. It's been pretty frustrating at times, the outer B pillar terminal blocks spring to mind, but ultimately very enjoyable. Do I think rear electric windows are worth retrofitting? Absolutely. Would I recommend retrofitting them yourself? If you feel confident enough, then yes, there's nothing overly tricky if you've worked on the A2's electrics before, there's just a lot to do. Would I do it again? Definitely.

Hopefully you've enjoyed reading about this, feel free to ask me any questions should you have any. :p

Regards,

Matt.

great write up and photos wilco!

i will be attempting the 12v socket once i source the proper wiring and also the door switches too!

cammy

Neat job. Is the driver's door window switch new?

Thanks, Philip. The drivers door switch is not new, I bought the item used and then swapped over the two front buttons from my old window switch. Personally, I can't justify to cost of a new one for something that I know will get battered anyway.

Great work, thanks for taking the time to put up pictures and words.

Thank you. :)

i will be attempting the 12v socket once i source the proper wiring and also the door switches too!

Thanks, Cammy. :) The 12V socket in the boot is a nice mod, the flip out socket is great, let us know how it goes! :p

Matt.

Back