Rear Fog Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal2002

Used the rear fog light for the first time today and noticed that it only comes on at one side, is this the norm?[8)]

2002, 1.4, azure blue, 2 tone leather, concert II single cd. Member of A2OC site.

Yes, this is normal, otherwise it could be mistaken for brakelights.

In fact, I even think its the law...

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Thanks for the confirmation :)

2002, 1.4, azure blue, 2 tone leather, concert II single cd. Member of A2OC site.

The SEAT Leon has two-stick them on and aircraft start following you!. Bright devils!.

I wonder which one has to be lit-is it left or right-and if you take your UK car to the continent how do you get on?.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I believe it is the offside one which has to be lit - which is why a lot of small hatches have the reversing light on the near side and the fog light on the offside. This is true of the UK - don't know how it differs on the continent.

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

On all VWs that have a single rear fog that I've seen the lamp is on the right for RHD cars and left for LHD. I once did buy a LHD rear lamp for a Polo to give me 2 rear fogs and gave up the reversing light. Could probably do same on A2.

Have not looked at the A2 yet but my passat has the bulb-holder and wiring in place but the hole in the back of the light cluster is too small for the bulb to go through (it has a mound line which would allow it to be enlarged. Would not be surprised to find the A2 is tha same.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

The A2 has all the wiring and bulb holder you need to remove the blanking plate on the light unit (should twist out) then insert bulb as per other side.

jobs a gooden..

Lee,
TDI SE,
Dolphin Grey,
6 Disc Changer (Fitted by me)

I thought my A2 had two rear fogs, gonna have to check now!

2003 A2 1.4 SE in Cobalt blue, black interior, Climate Control, Winter Pack

Just put in a bulb on the near side (blanking plate does just twist out), although all looks right lamp doesn't light, will check out the wire up of the lamp holder plug as I suspect it is missing the connection required

Andrew - 2003 1.4 TDI Silver Climate

All well and good chaps but recent legislation decrees that vehicles used in their countries of origin have only ONE, the offside, high intensity rear fog light to avoid the aforementioned confusion with brake lights.

icon_smile_cool.gif

Mind you it might be better to legislate against the idiot drivers who use rear fog lights in heavy traffic, cities, on motorways in the rain.... after all it's not that you can't see them, you just don't have as much time to react to their brake lights! Oh and there is the small matter of turning the b****y things off, I see people on the M62 for days after a little low cloud has caused a mass switch on, with their lights still on.

Ps. the wire is missing from the loom to the N/S light cluster

quote:Originally posted by ianjohnsonws14

Have not looked at the A2 yet but my passat has the bulb-holder and wiring in place but the hole in the back of the light cluster is too small for the bulb to go through (it has a mound line which would allow it to be enlarged. Would not be surprised to find the A2 is tha same.

Ian

[
[/quote]

I cannot answer for Lichfield. But have just ordered one for Derby which will make regular trips through Staffs - and it will also be silver - with red leather. Maybe its because the A2 looks best in silver?
Jane
A2 Tdi silver

abre
Don't forget those twits with front fogs-and it's not all young'uns either!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Fair point! Shame is I passed an A2 on the M60 in Stockport today and yup he had side lights and front fogs on, what is the point???

exactly, what is the point?

Ant it tends to be people my age who get most of the blame for having them on even though a large percentage of those are middle aged.

Pure pose value. But a vast majority of cheaper cars come with front fogs anyway, so along with it being illegal to have them on in normal conditions, it doesn't do much for the image anyway!.

quote:Originally posted by abre

Shame is I passed an A2 on the M60
Sob...[V]
quote:Originally posted by Mal2002

exactly, what is the point?
At least, along with illuminated washer-jets, it gives you an opportunity to see the <s>d1ck$</s> er... idiots coming.

&lt;rant&gt;
I drove 300 miles today - in an Almera [:0], grrrrrr... - and I couldn't believe how many idiots were pootling around with their fog lamps on. It's bad enough on the motorway but on twisty B roads in the pouring rain [B)]
Whilst much has been made in these pages about Audi's quality control and their ability to rectify faults - I am amazed that BMW and Vauxhall have not issued a recall to deal with the hard-wired fog lamp problem that seems to have affected most of their models...:)
&lt;/rant&gt;

--
m. Azure Blue 2003 1.6 FSI SE | OpenSky | ECC | DIS | Isofix | ERW | Symphony II (duff) | Space-Floor-Box | Winter Pack | Auto-Dimming Rear View thingy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back